Don't Wait To Put In The Effort To A Relationship
relationships

To All The Boys I've Loved Before, Why Did You Wait To Put In Effort?

I know I am enough, so why did you wait until the end to show you cared?

105

So, here we are again.

This is another article about relationships... shocking, I know. Only this time, I am single.

Yes, another relationship has ended, unfortunately. Breakups really do suck.

I have mentioned in plenty of my past articles that all the relationships I have been in have been very healthy and helpful relationships — but love is not enough to make a relationship work.

I am not hating on my exes. They are all lovely men, but not for me.

As I go through my third breakup of the year, I am hurting a bit but am excited to begin being single for what seems like the first time.

I am ready to be alone. I'm ready to not have any obligations to anyone or feel like I have to impress anyone. I am ready to not have to worry about making plans or spending money on gifts for anniversaries or birthdays.

I am ready to live my life and spend a ton of time with my friends.

I am ready to dance with whomever I want and show the world how independent I truly am.

I am ready for boys to flirt with me and slide into my DMs, just for me to push them aside as I bask in my own self-love. I am empowered and ready to do whatever I want.

Although I am excited to begin a new chapter in my life, one thing I cannot shake is this one question that looms over me. Why did all the boys I've loved before wait?

Why has every person I have been with wait until I was gone to show me how much they loved me? Why has every boy I've loved before waited until I broke up with them to shower me with love and affection?

Why wait?

I am confident. I am kind. I am understanding.

I am a lenient girlfriend. I do not snoop. I am loyal.

I try to spend a fair amount of time with my partner. I encourage people to go after their dreams.

I am smart. I am funny. I am affectionate.

This is not an article asking why I am not enough. No, I KNOW I am enough.

So, why has everyone waited to reassure me of that? Why does it take me ending things for someone to chase me, when for so long I have felt like I have been the one chasing them?

No more.

To all the boys I've loved before, I hope you enjoy seeing me basking in my singledom and holding out for someone who doesn't wait.