Why you should dress for success

Yes, 'Dress For Success' Applies To College Students, Too

We all know it's hard to get up for that 8 a.m., and dressing nice may not be a priority but I feel it's important and a way to bring more success to your life.

420
Brooklyn Dillow

I accepted the challenge and put purpose into every outfit I chose over the past week to solidify my reasons for writing the article. I've also taken pictures of each day so that I'm out in the open and no one can call me out. Although I am just a freshman in college this year, I had previously been adopting these mindsets before in high school. My day feels so much more approachable when I am looking good.

First and foremost, putting purpose into the clothes and accessories you choose to wear reflect your personality. Style has been a form of personal expression for decades, and it is a way to show who you are on the inside. By choosing pieces and styling them together, outfit choices can have more meaning to you and reflect your character.

Brooklyn Dillow

If you dress in ways that give you the confidence you can go about your day in a more positive attitude. Something I often tell myself is "although everything seems like it's going wrong, at least I look good." Youtuber Jessica Quirk explains similar points in her Youtube video "Look good, feel good." By looking nicer, it makes you feel more capable of tackling the day. If I were dressed in leggings and a sweatshirt, I might be more easily persuaded to take a nap, instead of doing some much-needed homework. I am more productive due to the confidence I have gained from looking nicer and feeling less "comfy."

Another advantage of putting more effort into outfits chosen to wear to classes would be that compliments are given non-stop. It personally lifts my mood to have someone tell me they like my shirt and makes my day a little better. It's also possible that you might make a first impression with someone. By outwardly making an expression of your personality, others who don't know you can draw conclusions about your character. Even with people that you do know, like professors and peers, it makes an impression. They will give more respect to someone who puts effort into the way that they dress instead of someone who looks like they just rolled out of bed.

Brooklyn Dillow

The philosophy of "dress for success" has been around for a while, and it is an idea that I keep in mind. There was a manual created to help people adopt this into their lives, that encyclopedia.com entails. I like to think that I dress for the job that I want, not the job of a student that I have. I want to make the impressions on others and gain my own confidence daily, and the way that I do that is by putting more effort into the outfits that I choose. If you don't believe me, take the advice from others! ManIntelligence provides studies and examples as to how men are affected by the way they dress. Youtuber Mimi Ikonn explains Why You Should Always Dress Your Best and Heena Somani, another Youtuber, gives her 5 Reasons Why You Should Always Dress Your Best. These two women provide their own personal reasons for why they feel it is important. I gain confidence daily by putting effort into my outfits. Others take notice of what I wear, and it gives me a positive attitude knowing that they see the outward impression that I want them to have. I encourage you to take the same challenge that I did and purposefully chose outfits that are reflective of your personality this week. Take note of the compliments you receive and how it personally makes you feel!