The Importance Of Family Traditions

The Importance Of Family Traditions

Traditions add meaning to our celebrations, and help bind us to those we love.

210
The Importance Of Family Traditions

Most families have holiday traditions, regardless of what holiday you are celebrating.

Even when we grow up and form our own families, we naturally merge our new traditions with some of the old.

It seems that traditions, new or old have a strong place in our hearts.

Traditions become an essential aspect of how we celebrate, and there is a reason why we keep them as a part of our lives for so long.

Simply put, we hold onto traditions because they add meaning to our celebrations, and help bind us to those we love.

Last weekend, I was watching Christmas Vacation (one of my pleasures during the holiday season) and I started thinking about why this movie was so funny.

A seemingly normal family has all the warm and fuzzy holiday traditions and dreams of the perfect family Christmas. Of course, until everything goes wrong.

The traditional events end in disaster, the tree catches fire, the turkey is dry (which is an understatement), the uninvited dog wrecks the house chasing the squirrel that got in the house, and the crazy cousin kidnaps the stingy boss.

After all this, the family still finds meaning and joy in the season. The tradition that survives is that they always spend the holidays with family, and this bonds them despite all the chaos.

Holiday traditions are essentially ritualistic behaviors that nurture us and our relationships.

They are primal parts of us, which have survived since the dawn of man.

Traditional celebrations of holidays have been around as long as recorded history.

Holiday traditions are an important part of building a strong bond between family, and our community.

They give us a sense of belonging and a way to express what is important to us.

They connect us to our history and help us celebrate generations of family.

They keep the memories of the past alive and help us share them with newer generations.

Although holiday traditions are usually the first thing people think of when you mention traditions, they are not the only ones families have.

Whether it’s throwing tinsel on the Christmas tree, watching the Thanksgiving Day parade while the turkey cooks, building sand castles every summer or regularly having family movie night they are a family ritual that brings children and parents closer.

These moments create positive memories for children and provide positive events for everyone to anticipate!

If you want a little science, children literally crave the comfort and security that comes with traditions and predictability.

This takes away the anxiety of the unknown and unpredictable.

Traditions are a wonderful way to anchor family members to each other, providing a sense of unity and belonging.

I am a huge fan of traditions year round but especially around the holidays. They're so important to keep your family close.

Thanksgiving traditions always involve the first indulgence of egg nog that will continue through to New Years, and we always make green bean casserole.

During Christmas, I have carried on a favorite tradition with my own family where we decorate the tree on Christmas eve. Santa fills them with candy so that on Christmas there are sweets to snack on throughout the day.

Not every family is lucky enough to have traditions, but that’s okay.

That just gives you the freedom to start creating your own!

With the holidays just passing, it is the perfect excuse to start trying new things!

New year, new traditions. It can really be anything you think is fun.

Once you get started making traditions, whether they be during the holidays or not, you can start branching out to make new traditions throughout the year.

Start a pizza night, a movie night, or even board game night. Make birthdays a special time for the celebrant to pick the cake and their favorite dinner.

If these things aren’t what you had in mind, traditions can be the annual family vacation where you spend time together every year.

If there is a simple take away message here, it’s that traditions nurture our spirit and are an important part of family bonding.

They can be anything fun, you and your family, already enjoy doing, or you can have fun starting your own.

Don’t get caught up in instituting the perfect family tradition, it’s not about being perfect it’s about the experience you share with your family.