Body Image: It's Important!

Body Image: It's Important!

This article tells you why your body image is important.

29
Body Image: It's Important!
Pexels.com

Body image is a huge problem that we struggle with every day. Personally, I have struggled with body image and still struggle with it on a daily basis. Back when I was in elementary and middle school, people would look at me differently than they would any other person they see because I don’t have the ideal or “perfect” body type that the media is showing as.

The media’s view of what women and men should look like is unhealthy, which causes many celebrities to struggle with their body image and the issues of body image that surround them.

Celebrities like Rihanna and Adele say that it doesn’t matter what your physical appearance is; what matters is that you like you for who you are, not for what they want you to look like. In a blog post, Rihanna was humiliated for being overweight, but she responded saying that no one should judge her based on her outward appearance. In Adele’s past, she stood out against those who were speaking negatively against her by saying that, to her, singing is what mattered.

Although some celebrities are speaking out against body shame, social media still gives the idea that everyone needs to have the "perfect body" in order to look good.

The media's ideal body type for women is to be skinny, but not too skinny, curvy, but not too curvy, and have a big chest. For men, its to be strong, muscular, and have a six-pack. In 2016, Donald Trump had been verbally attacking a former Miss Universe about her weight. In reality, being verbally attacked is harmful to the body image of both men and women.

In hearing what is happening across the U.S about body image, my question to you is, would you have the courage to stand out against the negative actions towards those who are struggling with their body image? How would you do that? Whenever you see or hear people talking about someone in a negative way, speak out against it, because your body image is important to you.