The Importance Of Being Kind

The Importance Of Being Kind

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."

4804
The Importance Of Being Kind
goodnewsnetwork.org

Lately, more often than not, I've seen a lot of people being mean to each other: whether it be in real life or on social media. I've been wondering why we as humans are so mean to each other, and why we can't all be kind. In a world where many people are mean to each other, it's a rare occasion to see someone being genuinely kind to another. Being kind to others is so rare anymore that when it happens, people are shocked and it's on the news or some form of social media and labeled as a "random act of kindness."

If all seven billion people in the world participated in a "random act of kindness" daily, just think of how much better of a place the world would be. One act of kindness per day can change someone's day for the better. You don't know if simply holding the door open for someone who has their hands full of papers and books could make someone's day go from bad to good, or if saying, "Thank you, have a nice day" to your barista for your coffee can make them feel appreciated.

During the summer, I work in the fast food industry, and I can assure you that whenever customers are polite and treat me like a person instead of looking down upon me, it makes me feel a lot better than someone who treats me as an inferior. That being said, be kind to those who society might think of as "inferior" because they don't have as good a job as others. Say "thank you" to the bus driver, tip your waiter or waitress a little extra if they did a good job, and be patient with those who mess up. We're all human, which means we all make mistakes. But just because we accidentally screw up doesn't mean that we don't deserve to be shown kindness by others.

There's no doubt that we all go through trying times in life, whether we have a bad day or a bad couple of weeks. Just because you're having a bad day, though, doesn't mean you need to be mean to those around you. Be someone that even when you have a bad day, you're still kind to others; be someone that is known for being a kind person. People might think that being kind to everyone makes you weak, as people can trod over or take advantage of you. However, you can still be kind to everyone and still stand your ground. Kindness does not make you weak; it makes you strong.

In addition to being kind to others, it's vital to be kind to yourself, too. Many people, myself included, can be too hard on themselves when they don't do as good on a test as they wanted to or didn't get a job they wanted. However, don't listen to that little voice in your head that says "you're not good enough" or other negative phrases to you. Accept that you're not perfect and work through problems and better yourself. Don't take anything out on yourself, though. Self-love and kindness to your body and mind are important. Don't forget that.

Everyone in life is going through something, so be considerate of others' feelings. If someone is being mean to you or having a bad day, be kind to them. When people are unkind to others, they are the ones who most need kindness from others. Go through life with a positive mindset, and as Ella from the movie Cinderella said, "Have courage and be kind."