Impactful Innovations

Impactful Innovations

Technology that has the potential to change the world.

20
Science Focus

�Here is a short list of innovations that I have found interesting, and will hopefully spread positive constructive changes. These innovations cover transportation, robotic enhancements, renewable energy, and the internet. Obviously, some of theses ideas or things can potentially bring negative influences; however, for the simplicity of this article, I have decided to narrow it down to a glimpse at only positivity.

1) Autonomous vehicles

Companies such as Google are undergoing self-driving projects. The projects are testing the effectiveness of navigating streets and getting around traffic. Currently, countries are constructing new laws that will eventually be implemented to increase regulation and safety. This project is mainly meant to minimize the annual accidents. Not to mention, automated trucks will be able to use fuel more efficiently than a human driver.

2) "The Train of the Future"

Ellon Musk proposed a high-speed solar-powered transportation system called the Hyperloop. The concept is being tested by sending specially designed pods or capsules through a continuos steel tube maintained at partial vacuum. The Hyperloop could travel as fast as 800 mph and potentially work above and underground.

3) Robotic exoskeleton

Exoskeleton technology was originally created to help disabled people. The exoskeleton suite has been molded for various purposes, such as construction work or as a military external suite for troops. The exoskeleton increases human strength, flexibility in limb movement, and endurance.

4) Global Internet

Presently, majority of the world is not able to access information through the web. There are just two methods (broadband and wireless), both of which limit access to rural, remote, or impoverished areas because of their intensive infrastructural demands. Google has established Project Loon, which is supposed to deliver wireless internet to the remotest regions by launching high altitude balloons 20 miles into the atmosphere and establishing aerial wireless networks. Google is also planning on launching 180 satellites that will orbit the globe, in hope of broadcasting internet to developing countries

5) Coffee power

Christian Kemp and his fellow scientists were pondering ways of using waste as reusable resources. The discoveries led to the possibility of using coffee grounds, which are highly absorbent. This would enable the coffee grounds to absorb methane. Not only can it be used to eradicate pollution in the air, but coffee waste can be burned to produce electricity. Overall, coffee could be another beneficiary source for renewable sustainable energy instead of continuously extracting fossil fuels.