Immune to the Gospel

Immune to the Gospel

We have forgotten where we have come from and are beginning to believe we arrived where we are all on our own

35
Immune to the Gospel
McKenna Hickman

Immune to the Gospel... those are the words that kept me awake last night.

I just recently got back from a trip where our one and only purpose was to share the Gospel. It really has kept me restless at night thinking about people. We so often take for granted our situation. We get to experience the LIVING God and sometimes we just keep Him to ourselves. We have gotten used to God and that is so so dangerous. We have forgotten where we have come from and are beginning to believe we arrived where we are all on our own. All of these thoughts led me to write this on my Instagram and I felt like I also wanted to put the words here. It is that important to me.

I bow my head to pray but am I listening to the words in my heart? Is this something I'm just used to doing before a meal, during church, when I gather with friends? Is that the only time I am praying during the day? Am I treating my quiet time like a chore? "Oh no I've got to do that before I go to sleep tonight just to make sure I can say I did it." Am I taking for granted the conversations that I get to FREELY have with the ones I love around the dinner table about Him? Am I taking for granted the fact that I go to work everyday just to be a reflection of Christ to children? Why do I go a day without uttering His name to someone that might know know His love? I have a million questions for myself.

It all came down to me feeling immune to this grace and this love that I shrug it off somedays. I don't treat it like it is important enough when it is the most important. My generation is all about the hype of what comes with loving the Lord, but isn't it about the eternal joy of the pursuit? A personal relationship is now made out to be one that has to be personal AND public. "We aren't REALLY following Him unless it's on our social media." What a lie. Hype only makes us feel good for a short period of time. Hype is showy. Jesus never died to make us feel good, to make us want to be able to get behind a "pep talk". It is time to get behind the Gospel. It is time to go back to our "roots". I think that is what I have learned the most from seeking Him this summer. The urgency of the Gospel. Take me back to the simple truth: we are forgiven, we are loved. Wake me up Lord because our time is short but our mission is great.