I'm An Independent Woman

I'm An Independent Woman

I'm independent, and I'm not sorry.

441
I'm An Independent Woman
pinterest.com

Being a woman in modern society is no easy feat, as we are always on our toes worrying about what others think of us. I think it is human nature to worry about the opinion of others, and it is natural to be self-conscious and self-aware. In the twentieth century, women started to be treated as equals with their male counterparts; we have come a long way since then, and we still have a long way to go, but one of the things I am most proud of in this country is strong, independent women. Being a woman is difficult, no matter what any man says, but being an independent woman can be twice as difficult.

Being an independent woman may cause you to be labeled as "bossy," "defiant," "high strung," "an overachiever," and sometimes even "disrespectful." What some people don't realize is that being an independent woman means that you are confident, self aware, proud and you take care of yourself. Some people think that being an independent woman isn't natural, and I heavily disagree. To the people who see independent women as a bad thing, I say "Sorry, not sorry."

I am not sorry that I don't let people tell me what to do. I am mindful and respectful of my elders and those who have authority, but I am independent. I do what I want and I tell it like it is. Sometimes it may seems like I am being difficult or argumentative, but it is only my independent nature. Please don't be offended if I tell you "I do what I want" or "Don't tell me what to do," it's just who I am.

I am not sorry that I like to be in charge. More often than not, I want to be in charge because I know what needs to be done, and I usually make sure I know how to do what needs to be done or I learn how to. I know that I will get things done and done well if I put myself in charge. I do not think I am better than you, it is just my independent nature. I am not bossy, because I am the boss.

I am not sorry that I have high expectations. I hold myself to a very high standard and I hold others to a high standard as well. I am well aware of who I let in my life which means that if I really let you into my life, I think highly of you. You may think that my expectations are too high, or that I am too hard on myself, or that I am high strung but that isn't the case.

I am not sorry that I am self-sufficient. I work hard and I don't do it for anyone except myself. I will offer to pay the bill on the date, not out of disrespect, but out of respect for myself; if you want to pay, I respect that and appreciate it but be prepared for me to say "Are you sure?" I make my own money and I can buy my own things. I am self-sufficient, and if that intimidates you...well, that's your problem.

I am not sorry that I avoid relying on others. I like relying on myself and taking care of my own problems. If I trust you enough to ask your opinion, don't be offended if I don't take your advice. It does not mean that I do not value your opinion or your advice, but that I am trusting the person I trust the most: myself. My decision may not be the right one or the best one, and I may complain about it later, but I will stick with my choice and I will deal with the consequences.

To all the independent women in the world, be proud of yourself.

Keep doing you.