Ways To Know You're Already Elderly At 21

Grandmotherly characteristics that make me older than my real age.

312
FreeGreatPicture.com

To start off, no, I don't mean you're literally a grandmother. What I mean is if you're an old soul or you find yourself amongst people you can't always keep up with; whether it's physically or has something to do with all this damn technology. Well, welcome to the club.

Since I was young, I've found that I have bit more difficulty when it comes to connecting with people my age. I really struggle to share some of the same interests or even continuing a conversation. At gatherings, you can easily find me chatting with all the mothers. Attempting to make small talk about Juuls, classes, or whatever juniors in college are thinking about stresses me out, and I'd rather be sipping on a glass of wine discussing with the group of 50-year-old women what happened on the last season of "Outlander."

How do you know you are of the grandmotherly sort? Easy. I classified myself with the identity through simple requirements, which are the following:

To begin, blankets are amazing! I always have a blanket of some sort. Whenever I'm at a house party or even having a movie night at home, I will always find a blanket to wrap myself in. Fun fact, my boyfriend even gave me a fluffy blanket for my birthday last year due to the fact I stole his everytime I was over.

Second, I'm a goner after midnight. Despite the fact I'm 21-years-old and should be thrilled at the idea of staying out until 3 a.m. at the bars, I'm ready to sleep by 11:45 p.m. Don't expect me to manage going to a pregame, a fraternity party, and two other bars... It's not happening. Be thankful I made it to the pregame and a bar or even the fact I was willing to miss the Harry Potter movie marathon.

Next, technology is frustrating. Sure, I eventually get around to it, but only years after people have moved on. I purposely avoid updating my iPhone or any of my apps because I know it will take me months to figure it out again. I'd rather deal with a dying battery, slow internet, and weird symbols instead of emojis just to avoid going through all the confusion. I'm always relying on my dad, sister, or boyfriend to figure out problems whenever it comes to electronic devices.

Fourth, knitting is a joy. I started knitting when I was just entering high school, so you could say I was pretty elderly from a young age. I love knitting. In fact, being abroad without my knitting needles has been somewhat of a tragedy. You should have seen my reaction when encountering a whole section of yarn in an Irish Aldi, but was unlucky in the attempt to find needles.

And last, but not least, I'm obsessed with tea sets. This again is something I've enjoyed for years. The plus about being abroad in Ireland this semester, other than the fact that I get to have an amazing, growing experience, is that everyone here is religious when it comes to tea. My friends decided to show me a video of their weekend trip around the country. What was the most exciting part of the two minute long clips strung together? ... uhhh, the tea set that was barely shown in the footage of the bed in breakfast where they stayed.

If you meet some of these criteria, congrats, we'd have a lot to talk about. Don't fret if you feel as though you're grandmotherly. Its one of the traits I have that really make me a unique member of any friend group. Yes, I typically end up being the "mom," but I am seen as reliable, friendly, and a great listener. Being a college grandma has its benefits, even if not everyone can see them.