I'm Actually "Not" Sorry

I'm Actually "Not" Sorry

Things that humans should not have to apologize for...

29
I'm Actually "Not" Sorry
ShunMelson

Throughout my life I have continued to apology in life for things I never should have to. I want to stand proud of who I am instead of apologizing for it, so I have decided there are six ways in which I plan to do this. I hope you join!

1. Voicing My Opinion

How many people start their sentences with, "I'm sorry but actually I think that..." Every human on this Earth is going to have a difference in opinion with someone else at one point in time, and it is never your responsibility to apologize for your own beliefs.

2. Feeling My Feelings

I have heard so many times people say things like, "She was so attractive but she was an emotional train wreck." Or even "I would have liked her more if she would just stand there and smile." It is not and never will be your job to works towards meeting other people's absurd standards. So next time someone tells you to not cry, instead of saying I am sorry, remember that you are crying for a reason and that reason is completely valid.

3. Making New Friends

In life as we move onto bigger and better things, we will also outgrow many of our childhood friendships, and there is no reason to apologize for this. The friends I made as a young child are irreplaceable and will never drift out of my heart, but I also know that people do grow up and forge different life paths. So don't allow anyone to make you feel like you cannot explore new friendships while still holding onto the old ones that you cherish so much.

4. Not Always Making Sure I Look My Best

As a woman I know that many times I have felt the need to apologize for the fact that I am not dressed up enough, or wearing nice enough shoes, or simply not wanting to put on makeup. Sometimes taking care of yourself means wearing dresses and sometimes it means showing up to class in sweatpants. Sometimes taking care of yourself means spending time on your makeup and sometimes it means skipping out on primping so that you can give yourself 20 extra minutes of sleep. It is your body, and there is no reason for you to apologize for how you choose to dress.

5. Asking Someone To Let You Through

This is something growing up as I girl in the South I have always been taught to do, "Sorry, may I please get through?" "Sorry, I'm just going to squeeze through, I am so sorry." I am not saying don't be polite and kind to others, but a simple "Excuse me." works just fine. You need to get through for a reason and that reason is just as valid and important as why they are choosing to stand there.

6. Saying No

If people weren't meant to use the word "No" then it would not have been introduced into our vocabulary so many years ago. Whether you are simply saying you can't make dinner plans tonight or you are turning down an offer that you have no interest in fulfilling, you can always say no without any fault or blame added onto yourself.

The more people use a word in a false statement, the more the meaning of that word quickly begins to dissipate. So I am choosing to save my "I'm sorry's" for the moments in life that truly deserve them.