Illegal Immigration- A Problem That Must Be Solved
Politics

Immigration is vital, but is illegal immigration hurting the U.S.?

198
Huffington Post

One of the greatest controversies in American society involves the issue of illegal immigration. In May 6, 2015 Gallup poll found that the issue of immigration is rated, “very important” among 59 percent of Americans. The average citizen is likely not aware that the number of illegal immigrants is estimated to be 15.7 million to 19.7 million (Elbel 1). A U.S. Border Control Local also states that this number could actually be much higher (Elbel 1). American citizens have reason to be greatly concerned about the number of illegal immigrants because this issue affects nearly everyone in the United States in one way or another. Illegal immigration is a tremendous issue for most Americans because undocumented aliens are affecting the economy in a negative way by "taking jobs" and advantage of government programs.

There have been numerous cases like that involving Javier Morales that tend to persuade Americans that illegal immigration is acceptable. Javier has two little girls and a wife to support. Javier was educated in Mexico, but claims he could not find work there. He also says that there is "too much corruption" (qtd. in Cafaro). "So, in 1989, Javier came to the United States, undocumented, working various jobs in food preparation and construction" (Cafaro). A few months later, Philip Cafaro had a conversation with a man named Tom. Like Javier, Tom must support his family. "He has been spraying custom finishes on drywall for 25 years and has had his own company since 1989. At one point, he employed 12 people . . . Now it's just him and his wife" (Cafaro). It is generally thought that immigrants do only the jobs that others will not take. However, some have prospered doing the very jobs others may find unattractive. When asked, “Do immigrants perform jobs Americans don’t want to do?” Tom replies, “No, my job is undesirable. It’s dirty, it’s messy, it’s dusty. I learned right away that because of that, the opportunity is available to make money in it” (qtd. in Cafaro). Nevertheless, because of the dramatic increase in numbers of immigrant workers, Tom and other American families will continue to suffer economically (Cafaro). Even Javier admitted that “The presence of too many immigrants lowers wages in construction for everyone.” (qtd. In Cafaro). According to Borjas, unemployment for lower class Americans has risen dramatically, even to the point of affecting a specific ethnic group within our country:

Borjas and colleagues found that a 10-percent immigrant-induced increase in the supply of a particular skill group reduced the wages of black workers in that group by 4.0 percent, lowered the employment rate of black men by 3.5 percentage points, and increased the incarceration rate of blacks by almost a percentage point. (qtd. in Caforo)

This research demonstrates that illegal immigration has had a negative affect on the economy due to reduction in wages, lowering of the employment rate and increased incarceration rates. Illegal immigration harms the lower and middle class who typically do not work in elite, highly paid positions:

According to an analysis by the Center for Immigration Studies, immigrants account for 35 percent of workers in building cleaning and maintenance, but only 10 percent in the corporate and financial sectors; 24 percent of workers in construction, but only 8 percent of teachers and college professors; 23 percent among food-preparation workers, but only 7 percent among lawyers. (Caforo)

Illegal immigrants also harm the economy by placing a heavy burden on public services. The area impacted most by illegal immigrants is that of public education. Is it America’s responsibility to educate the children of illegal immigrants? If so, the cost is substantial. Disregarding the cost, the supreme court of the United States, in Lau v. Nichols (1974), declared that all public schools must teach English to non-English speaking students (Nadadur). Consequently, English speaking children’s learning experience is hindered. In Plyer v. Doe (1982), it was determined that “public schools are required to provide education to all students regardless of immigration status and are prohibited from requiring proof of status” (Nadadur). This requirement has cost the states large sums of education money that is needed elsewhere. “The largest expense for illegals is educating their American-born children, some $52 billion” (Kirkwood).

Undocumented mothers give birth in American hospitals and do not pay the bill. “The states pay $1 billion annually for illegal-alien mothers to give birth” (Kirkwood). Illegal-alien mothers are not the only ones taking advantage of services. According to the Miami Herald in 2009, “undocumented immigrants visited Jackson [Hospital] 77,415 times, costing the system $38 million in unpaid care” (qtd. in Kirkwood). In Las Vegas illegal immigrants with failing kidneys were running a bill of nearly $2 million a month for medical treatment (Kirkwood). Not to mention that “medicaid alone for illegal-alien children costs taxpayers $1.8 billion” (Kirkwood).

Incarcerating criminal aliens is costing the states an absurd amount of money (Nadadur). FAIR reported that “the states combined spend about $8.7 billion policing and jailing them” (Kirkwood). “The general conclusion that can be drawn from these figures…is that illegal immigrants do impose a distinct fiscal cost in terms of health care, public education and incarceration” (Nadadur). The cost of incarcerating criminal immigrants seems unimportant in view of the violent crimes committed by illegals. A case in point is that of Kate Steinle, a California woman shot and killed by an often deported criminal immigrant named Sanchez. There was strong support for a new legislation called Kate’s Law, which would have blocked all of federal funds to sanctuary cities like San Francisco, which do not enforce immigration laws. Passed in the House of Representatives, the bill died in the United States senate (Mills).

It is essential for American citizens to understand how detrimental illegal immigration is to society. The number of undocumented aliens is continually growing by the millions, and something must be done about it. America is losing more money providing for illegals. The lower and middle class are suffering because they are losing jobs. Hospitals are losing a tremendous amount of money, and illegal criminals have caused death and trouble, and are increasing the amount that must be paid for criminals. If the United States does not regulate and better enforce illegal immigration laws, the American economy and families similar to that of Tom’s and Kate’s will continue to suffer; illegals will continue to lower wages in the work force, and cost tax payer’s money by increasing costs in education, health care and incarceration.

Works Cited

Cafaro, Philip. “The Progressive Case for Reducing Immigration.” Chronicle of Higher

Education 61.19 (2015): n.pag. Web. 23 Nov. 2015.

Elbel, Fred. “How many illegal immigrants reside in the United States?” Colorado

Alliance for Immigration Reform. n.d. Web. 17 Nov. 2015.

Kirkwood, Cort. “Illegal Aliens: Economic Consequences.” n.p. 18-22. Web. 20 Nov. 2015.

Mills, Curt. “Ted Cruz gives ‘Kate’s Law’ a second shot” Washington Examiner. 22 Oct. 2015.

Web. 27 Nov. 2015.

Nadadur, Ramanujan. “Illegal Immigration: A Positive Economic Contribution to the United

States.” Journal of Ethic and Migration Studies 35.6 (2009): 1037-1052. Web. 19 Nov. 2015.