I'll Just Date Myself

I'll Just Date Myself

Don't be eye candy, be soul food.

47
I'll Just Date Myself
Brittany Campbell

Do you wanna know something that I find to be absolutely insane? It’s the fact that people let the thought of finding a significant other consume them to the highest degree. Also, it baffles me that people “look” and “search” for “the right one.” Why do people waste so much of their time, thoughts, and energy on wondering when they’re going to find someone to walk down the aisle with after saying, “I do”?

“I deserve someone who will give me the world.”

BABY GIRL, GIVE YOURSELF THE DAMN WORLD.

“I can’t wait until I find that special someone who makes me happy.”

Holy crap, I pray that you are smarter than to place your happiness into the hands of anyone but yourself. Go out and make yourself happy, you don’t need someone else to do it for you. Create your own happiness and be the reason behind that flawless smile of yours.

“It’s just nice having someone to talk to.”

Is it not obvious when you’re wasting your time? Is it a struggle to figure out how to tell when someone is temporary? Is it really that hard to have the self-confidence to set your standards high and to never settle for someone who’s just, “nice to talk to”?

It’s not a secret that these phrases, and many others, have left the mouths of countless bachelors and bachelorettes. It’s also not a secret that people aren’t able to be an individual and live a life of solidarity that’s based on independence.

Allow me to let you in on something that is a secret: Your lover is coming.

I’ve been single for quite some time now and I’m not ashamed of it. Within the last six years of my life, I’ve dated a few fellas and “talked” (whatever that means) to a couple of wrongful dudes. Clearly, none of them seemed to work out, but is there anything about my romantic history that I regret happening? Not a damn thing. All of those “Mr. Wrongs” taught me more than my school books have (S/O to the outrageous textbook prices). Surely enough, while riding down the pathway of toxic relationships, each and every one of them showed me exactly what I want in the future Mr. Brittany Michelle Campbell.

Until he comes along, I’ll just date myself.

I’ve decided to date myself because I know how I deserve to be treated.

I’ve decided to date myself because I know how to tell when someone has bad intentions for me.

I’ve decided to date myself because I know how to treat someone with dignity, honor, and respect.

I’ve decided to date myself because I’m capable of spoiling myself with new clothes (even if they are crews from the Goodwill) and chicken nuggets.

I’ve decided to date myself because I know how to recognize the look in a man’s eye when he plans on exploring my curves versus discovering the deepest roots of my mind.

I’ve decided to date myself because I don’t allow negative vibes to enter my life, such as toxic boys.

I’ve decided to date myself because I am too old to be playing games, yet I feel like I’m too young to already be next to the person I’m going to sit next to for the rest of my life.

I've decided to date myself because I am so, so tired of dealing with a broken heart.

I’ve decided to date myself because I enjoy my own company; I truly am my own best friend.

I’ve decided to date myself because I’m still learning so much about who I am. I know how I like things, such as the sauces I prefer to dunk my chicken nuggets in, how many ice cubes I like in my Dr. Pepper, and most importantly, I know how to treat my own soul.

I’ve decided to date myself because I have yet to become the woman I desire to be. Yes, I have come a long way in creating all that is Brittany Campbell, but I haven’t achieved who I want to be quite yet. There’s always room for improvement.

I’ve decided to date myself because I am a woman of great worth and I have yet to meet someone who has the ability to handle me. (No, I’m not easy.)

I’ve decided to date myself because, for now, I enjoy spending most of my time alone. I enjoy feeding my soul and perfecting my perspectives. I spend a great deal of time giving myself soul food and flooding my mind with thoughts that I’m not ready to release yet.

I’ve decided to date myself because when I come across the love that I want for an eternity, I’ll know.

As far as craving love, please learn how to love yourself. It’s like they say, you can’t expect anyone else to love you if you can’t even find it in your heart to fall completely and madly in love with yourself.

I know that people prefer to have a “special someone” so that they always have a partner to, “do things with.” (lol)

Here’s a question I get asked more often than I should:

“Brittany, are you seriously still a virgin? How? I don't believe you."

HA! I chuckle every time I get asked this because it’s like being a virgin these days is equivalent to being an endangered species or a creature that has yet to be discovered. It’s like I’m a mermaid or something. Shockingly, it’s not a fact that I prefer to keep a secret; I do not mind discussing my virginity and I have never given a damn about what anyone has ever had to say about my decision to remain abstinent. I have always planned on being a virgin until my wedding night because I want my husband to know just how much I already love him and I want him to have the peace of mind knowing that I waited for him and that I’ve never let another man touch me the same way I plan on letting him touch me. I view what’s in-between my legs as a prize, and let me tell ya, it’s not something that will be easily won. Virginity is something that can only be given once, so obviously I want it to go to the man who commits to me for the rest of forever. I know he’ll love me 112x more for it. I’m already so madly in love with him and I don’t even know who he is yet.

“But haven’t you ever been tempted to have sex?”

Yes, it’s not like I’m a box of rocks that no guy has ever approached. Of course, the temptation has always been there in the back of my mind, but then I think about my husband. I currently think about him in ways that I know he’ll appreciate me for in the future. I do things now that I know I’ll appreciate later. Whenever the temptation is near, I just picture myself walking down the aisle and I’m not afraid to say no to any man who doesn’t have the decency to honor my wishes. I respect my husband enough to wait for him. Keeping my virginity is another way that I’ll know when I’ve found something true, because if the guy I’m with indefinitely wants to be with me, he’ll understand and he’ll keep his hands away from where they shouldn’t be. I am a woman of my word, because after all, sex is the reason my last relationship ended. (Sorry not sorry, buddy. ~ ps. I’m still laughing about that.)

I may have only gotten a 19 on my ACT in high school, but I know damn well what I want and what I deserve. I deserve a man who loves me for me, craves everything about me, and has no problem with eating chicken every night for dinner.

Whoever you are, Mr. Brittany Michelle Campbell, you have no idea what’s in store for you because I am one gnarly wild child.

Until he comes along and puts a diamond ring on my finger that replaces my purity ring, I’ll just date myself.

Follow your heart, but take your brain with you.

I’d like to challenge y’all to one thing:

Don’t be eye candy, be soul food.