If You're Worried About Returning To School This Semester, You're Not Alone.

I am cautiously optimistic about resuming in-person classes this winter.

29
Photo by Changbok Ko on Unsplash

Throughout my years in college, I can think back to many days where I did not want to leave my bed and go to class. A lot of these feelings arose during the long Chicago winters, and the last thing I wanted to do was be standing on a train platform in the freezing cold at nine in the morning. Naturally, you often don't recognize what you have until it's gone, and the COVID-19 pandemic made me realize what I was missing when I could no longer go to class. Now, still in the midst of the winter months, as well as the pandemic, it seems that it is time for me to return to an in-person class. As much as I am looking forward to being able to sit in a classroom once again, I am also worried for my health and the health of others around me.

I am a senior in college, so for all I know, this could be one of my last times being able to learn in a classroom. To be honest, I had already made peace with the fact that I would no longer be able to receive my education in the way that I always knew many months ago. I am slightly surprised that I am required to be returning to class, but I am cautiously optimistic that it will be a pleasant, safe experience. I have already attended Zoom meetings for this class online, and I am so excited about it that I really look forward to working in-person with my professor and classmates. With that being said, I will be interested to learn more about my university's sanitation process when it comes to cleaning classrooms, bathrooms, etc.

I believe that safety regulations are being followed in terms of in-person classes, so that puts my mind a bit more at ease. At the same time, COVID-19 is still a very real thing, and the more people you are exposed to, the higher your chances are of contracting the virus. I look forward to seeing how the classroom will be set up in terms of social distancing, and I am sure we will be required to wear masks in class. I myself plan to bring hand sanitizer in my bag and use wipes to disinfect my materials before and after class.

To anyone who is nervous about returning to school this semester, you are not alone. COVID-19 has put a major strain on every aspect of our lives, and I hope that we all continue to do our best to navigate this virus safely. If you are going to be attending in-person classes this winter, wear your mask, social distance, and get tested if you find it necessary. When it comes to something as serious as COVID-19, you can never be too cautious.