If You Have Ever Been Told You Are "Too Sensitive", This One Is For You

Is it really that we are too sensitive or do we just feel too much?

27
Kathleen Naessens

When I was about seven years old I first heard and understood the words "Stop being so sensitive.", "You are overreacting.", "Get over it.". Yikes, did that hurt my sensitive soul. I am sensitive, I can openly admit that, but what is wrong with being sensitive?

What constitutes being too sensitive anyway? Who was anyone else to tell me that I should have just stopped being that way?

In grade school the principal would sit everyone in the gym to have a stern talk with us, no yelling involved, not directed towards me in any way; but I would inevitably leave in tears. One of my classmates would get into some sort of little-kid-nonsense-trouble and I would get upset for them. And if I ever got a bad grade, I would send myself over the edge with how distraught I would be.

Over and over again, from teachers, parents, and friends throughout the years I have been told I am too sensitive. They made me dislike being sensitive.

Being sensitive became something the correlated with being weak or generally bad. It became something that I was ashamed of and tried to hide, as if showing any emotions had to be subdued.

Despite being told this, I never changed, I don't think I could have changed because that was who I was. Things got harder, I learned to control it better, but I never stopped being sensitive.

I just don't see anything wrong with it, and you shouldn't either. I think sensitive people are special; they feel too much. There is nothing wrong with feeling too much or not so much or anything in between.

Sensitive people have always been the most genuine and honest people I have ever met. They love so hard, think deeply, and care more than they should. They experience what others are feeling too, everyone's happiness, sadness, excitement, and pain.

Things matter to a sensitive person. Words will easily sway you to feel some way. Kind words will make you feel on top of the world and harsh words will send you plummeting. Criticism, whether constructive or plain, will send you to shambles. Unresolved situations and little arguments will leave you feeling guilty and in pain. You allow what affects other people to influence you as well.

Being sensitive is not a weakness, if anything, it makes you brave.

To cry without feeling ashamed, to feel without fearing it is too much, to experience your emotions on top of everyone else's, to allow people to experience something more than the surface level of who you are and be vulnerable is admirable.

When you are a sensitive person, everything in your life is enhanced and your world view is different. It may appear to others as a weakness, but you, my sensitive friend are so strong.

Keep being strong. Keep being sensitive. Keep being an example to others to do the same.