What would you do if you had 24 left to live?

If I Had 24 Hours To Live, I Would Spend Time With The People I Love Instead Of Doing Crazy Things

My fondest memories come from those who have made me laugh harder than I can explain and smile bigger than I can show.

180
Emily Henrichs

It dawned upon me at any time, any day, regardless of my own personal feelings, I could die. I know that's a little grim, but it's the truth. I began to think about how I would spend my last 24 hours on this earth. I started to realize I wouldn't go skydiving. I wouldn't go to Disney World. I wouldn't do the things you would probably assume.

If I were to find out I wouldn't be alive in 24 hours, I would spend time with friends and family. We would share all the stories we have together. I would get my last ever meal from a place near and dear to my heart. I would go back to all the places I have fond memories and laugh with my pals before we say "see ya later."

I could go and tell all the people I've had massive crushes on how I felt or I could spend that time with my pals laughing about the time I ran into the boys' bathroom on accident. I would choose my friends. I would choose to look back at my life with my closest pals and laugh our hearts out.

I even took the liberty to run an Instagram poll with the question: "If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, what would you do?" I made the two choices, "something I've always dreamed of" and "sleep." An overwhelming amount of the votes were the first choice. I assumed that would be the case. However, as I was looking through the votes, a thought came to mind. These people probably have similar but different things they have dreamed of doing. My "something" would be playing hockey with the greats. However, I want to spend my 24 hours with people who know me and love me well.

I know people always say "Do what you want before you're dead" or at least something along those lines, but if I'm being honest what I really want is to be with people I love. What I really want is to share memories with those who have made me laugh and smile day in and day out. My fondest memories come from those who have made me laugh harder than I can explain and smile bigger than I can show. So, if I'm being honest, I don't need much more.

I truly couldn't imagine spending my last known day on earth doing something without people I love dearly. My people have made me into the person I am today. My people have brought me numerous laughs. My people have shown me a ridiculous amount of love. There isn't a doubt in my mind that spending my last day with my people is the wrong choice.

Life has a funny way of doing things to us that we don't always expect. It has a way of flipping upside down all of a sudden without any preparation. If I knew I had 24 hours left to live, I'd get my friends and we would have a blast together!