If I Hear "Woke" One More Time, I'm Going To Sleep

Don't Use the Word Because It's "Trendy"

100
www.bjp-online.com

The term "woke" has basically become a coined word that is synonymous with being conscious of social issues in the black community. I get the meaning of the word and its purpose, but, quite frankly, I'm sick of the word. I'll tell you why:

1. People use it too much and too often for the wrong reason. Being "woke" can "mean" or be used to say you know about the black lives matter movement and you love black people. I don't think the meaning should be synonymous with the general love of being black. Don't get me wrong, black pride and black love is so important but it doesn't mean your "woke" or socially conscious. You can love black people but have issues within yourself that prevents you from truly knowing your own worth or having self pride in yourself, individually, as a black person.
  2. If you're socially conscious, just say that. In my opinion, woke has become a trend for those that like to use social issues in the black community and black culture as a trend. The ones that are wearing dashikis, all of a sudden, and saying words like "hotep" with their fists held high. *Eye roll* Puh-lease. Most of them don't even know the deeper meaning of most of the African derived words they scream but swear they're "woke". Use all the words of your ancestors as long as you know the actual meaning and you're using it in the right context.
  3. "Woke" seems to be a term that some white people, as usual, have decided to use as their own. These are the ones that are for black rights, equality, etc. All that is great, but come on Becky, you're not "woke". Anyone can look on the news, read an article, or hop on Twitter and see all the talk about social injustice. Knowing about it and kind of acknowledging it every now and then doesn't mean you're "woke". You're just socially aware of the civil unrest and injustice that is going on in the black community. You can help bring these issues to light, as long as you use it in the right way. Don't keep saying you're "woke" to get props or a dap from black people. Be socially aware because it's the right thing to do and it's something you believe in.

I just believe that being aware of the issues the black community have to face shouldn't be synonymous with a word that is misused and abused as a cultural "trend". Read some books, talk to the older generation, do your research, and find out who your people really are. That is how you can truly be conscious to the injustices. So if you still want to say you're "woke" after reading this, do me a favor: Go back to sleep, wake up, and genuinely consider not saying the word unless you're literally waking up from being asleep.