8 Proven Ways To Draw Attention To Your Fundraising Event

Many college students find themselves participating in a fundraiser at one time or another. Here are 8 ways to actually draw attention to your efforts.

50

Whether you're part of Greek life or a club, many college students find themselves helping out with fundraisers. Everyone wants to go on that kayaking trip or do something good for a local charity, but none of it will happen without enough money.

Since college students are known to struggle with tight budgets, it isn't always possible to give enough money on their own. That's when you and your friends should host fundraisers, which are fun to create and give you great experience for your resume. After you decide on the details of your fundraiser, how can you make it successful?

Check out these eight proven ways to draw attention to your fundraising event without needing to spend much money. Groups on any budget can find ways to get fundraising donations, as long as you're creative and have fun with it.

1. Establish a Social Media Presence

Unsplash

Everyone's on social media, and it's free to set up an account, so use that to your advantage. Create a Facebook event for your fundraiser that includes everything someone would want to learn. Use it to post updates and consider doing the same on sites like Twitter and Instagram. You'll grow an event following and reach more people without leaving your dorm room.

This method is also a great way to reach participants in case a storm delays your car wash event, or you need to make other last-minute changes. A quick post will alert everyone instantly instead of hoping they check their email for updates.

2. Reach Out to Newspapers

Unsplash

Consider the ideal audience participating in your fundraiser. If they're a little older, you might reach them through newspapers more quickly than the internet. Reach out to local circulations and ask if they'll advertise your fundraiser for free if you write a press release for them. They might include it in their next publication without charging you a dime.

3. Make Colorful Posters

Unsplash

Students walk around campus every day, which makes it the perfect place to advertise. Check with your school's rules regarding event posters and then get to work with markers or paint. You'll make eye-catching ads that tell people where to find your fundraiser online or when it will happen, all for hundreds of students to see as they walk to and from class.

Posters can be a great way to make your fundraiser a well-known event, but make sure each one is easy to read. Messy handwriting or faded ink won't get your message across. It would help if you also considered laminating any posters you make so that they last through inclement weather.

4. Create a Website

Unsplash

It's also smart to think about making a website to ensure your fundraiser has its own online space. If you don't want to host your own site, consider one of the many crowdfunding platforms available, such as Network for Good and GoFundMe. You'll have more room to include information and backstory about your event compared to a social media platform, which could be all someone needs to donate.

If you decide to make a website, make sure you promote it. Showcase it on your social media accounts, flyers and posters so that people know where to find it. You can also include the URL in any emails you send out to people following or supporting your fundraiser.

5. Choose an Effective Font

Unsplash

If your group has the funds to print posters at a store, choose an effective font to convey your message and make your event more successful. The right font will get your idea across, establish a theme and show the tone of your event. It's an advertising element people don't often consider, but it could make all the difference in turnout or profits.

6. Chat With Local Businesses

Unsplash

Imagine you're hosting a fundraiser so that your group can run in a 5k and raise money for charity. A local business that sells athletic equipment may give you things like gift cards for free because they'll get advertising to an interested audience while you give away or sell their products to potential new customers.

7. Include a Giveaway

Unsplash

Giveaways are an easy way to reach more people, mainly because college students love free stuff. Think about giving away a free pizza, t-shirt or goodie bag to people who donate a certain amount of money to your cause. You could also give stuff away if they post about your event online a certain number of times or get people to follow your fundraiser's social media profiles. You get help with advertising, and they get free stuff.

8. Pass Out Flyers

Unsplash

Another easy way to promote your fundraiser is to pass out flyers during busy periods on campus. Get a group of friends to hand them out to students walking by. Make sure to check with your school so that you don't accidentally give away flyers without registering or blocking off time in front of certain buildings.

One of the best ways to draw attention to your fundraiser is to try multiple marketing tips. Print flyers, give away prizes and post about it online to spread the news. The more creative you get with your promotion efforts, the more people you'll reach before your deadline. Don't be afraid to do something new!