Biking Is The Ideal Formula For Exploring D.C.

A morning in the Mall: Tabula rasa perspective.

39
Go There Guide

Completely fresh to the D.C. scene and relying only on what I knew via common knowledge and previous history classes, I embarked on a journey that showered my senses in history and sent my mind whirling at the magnitude and majesty of our United States of America. I plunged into our capitol aboard two wheels, and with handlebars as my masts, sailed into wondrous national symbols and landmarks, of which no textbook photo or television broadcast can truly capture and render as breathtaking as it it truly is.

The group smoothly rode the wide pavements of the city, cloaked in a slight, gentle fog at the time that mellowed the vibrant colors of the District of Columbia that seem to speak to the classic American spirit. Soaring upward, The Washington Monument, captivated me and accompanied by explanation of its change in color and cap of aluminum then moved toward spontaneous observation of a helicopter landing in front of the White House as snipers hovered nearby.

Rolling greens surrounded us as the tour proceeded to the World War II Memorial, erected by Bush, and requiring of intense awe as the size of the war is demonstrated in the grandeur and detail of the monument. For example, each country is represented by its own pillar, and a thick cord symbolically connects them all. Justice and democracy seem to course through the very air that slips past as people of all backgrounds mill leisurely or move with great determination up and down the sidewalks.

We pedal onward, reaching the Vietnam War memorial and deep solemnity rains as with each step more and more names of the deceased stack up in our eyes above small objects or notes from the grieving or the patriotic. A reflective granite pool of sorrow after of which one may sit beside large, emotional statues that bring image to the name.

The Lincoln Memorial was the next stop, and I am quite obviously not the first to say it but phenomenal is the most accurate word for that monument. Lincoln's expression delivers a message of humble courage and depths of wisdom that made me ache for the nation at present, and for a undeniably great leader.

The Korean War Memorial also includes countenances that cause toiling in the viewer's soul; no matter where one is standing in the memorial, a statue of a soldier is looking at him or her. Pools and beyond well kept trees add to the atmosphere. Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Memorial is captured in rooms that depict his terms; all containing various symbolism that creates a fuller experience of interacting with his role in the Great Depression and Pearl Harbor.

Following this memorial was Martin Luther King Jr.'s memorial, a newer stop. Based entirely on his messages, this memorial begins with a divided (symbolic!!) mountain that one walks through to reach a massive statue of King gazing out across the Potomac. Quotes taken from many of his speeches are carved into marble surrounding the area: it is undoubtedly invigorating and inspirational to be enveloped in such passionate words.

The last stop was reached after biking across the bridge and taking on the white steps of the Jefferson Memorial: antiquated and ornate, this memorial commanded a sincere respect from all.

Perhaps, my account will offer perspective on which spots you might most enjoy or depict an ideal and effective way of becoming acclimated with these monumental sights that are such integral symbols of the American people. Walking and bus tours are of course common options, but with a guided bike tour the pace was fast but not rushed and allowed for a greater breadth of focus on each highlight as the traveling was not only easy but truly an American beauty of an experience.