The Ideal Final Semester Of College That I Didn't Get

What would I have told myself back then knowing what I know now?

108
Angie Anderson

While I had a great time in college, there are a few things I wish I would have done differently.

1. Pictures

Looking back, I have probably hundreds of pictures of my freshman year of college as well as several more of my sophomore and junior year. While I only spent one semester as a senior, there are far less pictures to represent my final weeks. I wish I documented more of that time so I would have more memories of it down the road.

2. Actually found a follow-up job

This one would have been tougher. Even now, a year and a half later, am I finding a suitable job that fits me well. I wish I would have listened to what people were telling me and gotten a job or some experience related to my desired career straight out of college. Internships don't want someone too far out of college. I wish I had the experience future employers want now.

3. Slept more

Of course, every college kid wants more sleep. I remember not sleeping more than a few hours a night my sophomore year and doing the same thing my last semester. I wish I could tell my senior year self, "honey, you need sleep WAY more than you need that fifth cup of coffee today."

I do remember the struggle of getting all my assignments in on time on top of work schedules and extra curricular activities and, while I am proud that I accomplished all that, I probably would have been less stressed with a little more sleep and a lot less caffeine.

4. Not over-schedule myself

My Tuesday/Thursday schedule was booked all day long from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Why did I do this to myself? I ended up skipping my 11 a.m. geography most days after midterms because "eating lunch is more important than studying the countries of Europe, right?"

WRONG. I almost failed the class because I missed a paper AND exam deadline. Not going to class has its consequences. I wish I would have cleared up my schedule a little more and not gotten pressured to have open blocks to fit more stuff into.

So.....What went right?

In the end, I am proud of myself. I not only got recognition for having a high GPA, I also got out a semester earlier than I initially thought while changing majors halfway through my college career. I had a fun and fantastic graduation day with my boyfriend who graduated with (exactly 12 minutes after!!) me and went on vacation the next week down to New Orleans.

In the end, the good balances out the bad, and I would definitely NOT do all over again for the sake of my mental health!