15 Iconic Quotes from Mary Tyler Moore: In Memoriam

Remembering Mary Tyler Moore through her inspiring words

10
www.womansday.com

On January 25th, animal rights activist, feminist, actress, and cultural icon Mary Tyler Moore passed away from cardiopulmonary arrest. The world has learned so much from her words, her efforts, and simply her presence — she was amazingly insightful and her words will live on for many years to immortalize her legacy. Here are 15 quotes from the legend herself that have taught multitudes of people about life and the human experience as a woman. Thank you, Mary Tyler Moore, for reminding us all to cherish and enjoy life.

1. “You can’t be brave if you’ve only had wonderful things happen to you.”

2. “Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.”

3. “Sometimes you have to get to know someone really well to realize you're really strangers."

4. "Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave."

5. "There are certain things about me that I will never tell to anyone because I am a very private person. But basically, what you see is who I am. I'm independent, I do like to be liked, I do look for the good side of life and people. I'm positive, I'm disciplined, I like my life in order, and I'm neat as a pin."

6. “I feel about my dogs now, and all the dogs I had prior to this, the way I feel about children—they are that important to me. When I have lost a dog I have gone into a mourning period that lasted for months.”

7. "I'm an experienced woman; I've been around. ... Well, all right, I might not've been around, but I've been ... nearby."

8. "I've had the fame and the joy of getting laughter - those are gifts."

9. "Three things have helped me successfully go through the ordeals of life -- an understanding husband, a good analyst and millions of dollars."

10. I live in a kind of controlled awareness. I wouldn't call it fear, but it's an awareness. I know I have a responsibility to behave in a certain way. I'm able to do that."

11. "Diabetes is an all-too-personal time bomb which can go off today, tomorrow, next year, or 10 years from now - a time bomb affecting millions like me and the children here today. "

12. "I'm not an actress who can create a character. I play me."

13."Behind every beautiful fur, there is a story. It is a bloody, barbaric story."

14. "A human being has been given an intellect to make choices, and we know there are other food sources that do not require the killing of a creature that would protest being killed."

15. "Having a dream is what keeps you alive. Overcoming the challenges makes life worth living."