10 Iconic Bollywood Lines

10 Iconic Bollywood Lines

Only true Bollywood fans will recognize these moments

1328
10 Iconic Bollywood Lines
totallybollywood.com

Sitting through a three and a half hour movie is only possible if it's Bollywood. Everyone refers to old Bollywood movies as "classics", but what really qualifies them as a "classic"? The script. Many Bollywood movies have iconic moments that are remembered even long after the movie has ended. Here are just a few that can only be recognized by true Bollywood fans, are you one?

1. Shah Rukh Khan in "Devdas"

When Devdas (Shah Rukh Khan) was put into misery after not being able to marry his childhood love Paro (Aiswarya Rai), he's put in this state of insanity in which he drinks constantly. Finally, his family had enough of him and he was asked to leave the house, in which Devdas replied; "Babuji ne kaha gaon chhod do, sab ne kaha Paro ko chhod do, Paro ne kaha sharab chhod do, aaj tumne keh diya haweli chhod do, ek din aayega jab woh kahenge, duniya hi chhod do."

*Translation: "Dad said to leave the town, everyone said to leave Paro, Paro said to leave alcohol, and today you said to leave the house, one day will come when they'll say, leave this world."

2. Salman Khan in "Wanted"

When Radhe (Salman Khan) is put between a love triangle with Jhanvi (Ayesha Takia) and two other men, he only has one solution for the dilemma: money. Radhe's advice on the situation gave clear insight on his 'gangster' portrayal, he advised "Tu ladki ke peeche bhagega, ladke paise ke peeche bhagegi, tu paise ke peeche bhagega, ladki tere peeche bhagegi."

*Translation: "You run after the girl, the girl runs after money, so if you run after money, the girl will run after you."

3. Shah Rukh Khan in "Om Shanti Om"

After daydreaming and finally coming face to face with the love of his life, Om (Shah Rukh Khan) feels deeply motivated to run into his crush, Shanti (Deepika Padukone), once again. He celebrates a toast with his friends and claims; "Picture abhi baaki hai mere dost."

*Translation: "There's more to the show my friend."

4. Shah Rukh Khan in "Dil Toh Pagal Hai"

SRK himself is iconic, but his screen name is more than just that, it's his identity. The number of times Shah Rukh Khan has played a character named "Rahul" is too many to count, hence the famous line "Rahul, naam to suna hoga," which originated through Dil Toh Pagal Hai.

*Translation: "Rahul, you've heard the name."

5. Shashi Kapoor in "Deewar"

After two brothers, Ravi (Shashi Kapoor) and Vijay (Amitabh Bachchan) part ways because of their set career choices as a policeman and one as a criminal, Vijay gets quite materialistic. Vijay exclaims "Aaj mere paas building hai, property hai, bank balance hai, bangla hai, gaadi hai.. kya hai, kya hai tumhare paas?" in which Ravi replies with an iconic response, "Mere paas maa hai".

*Translation: "Today I have a building, a property, balance in the bank, a house, a car..what, what do you have?"

"I have my mother."

6. Shah Rukh Khan in "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge"

After Raj (SRK) and Simran (Kajol) get into an argument, Simran apologizes to Raj, and he replies with "Bade bade deshon mein choti choti baatein hoti rehti hai, senorita". This movie is one of many that includes the ultimate Bollywood duo.

*Translation: "Small talk happens in big big towns"

**Fun fact, Barack Obama attempted to quote this line!

7. Aamir Khan in "3 Idiots"

In an attempt to lighten the mood, Rancho (Aamir Khan) bursts into a famous song, quoting "All is well"! If nothing can make you laugh, this throwback movie definitely can.

8. Shah Rukh Khan in "Jab Tak Hai Jaan"

After Samar (SRK) is emotionally damaged and is questioned as to why he's so afraid of love, especially because his life revolves around bombs, Samar replied with a thought provoking line: "Zindagi toh har roz jaan leti hai, bomb toh sirf ek baar lega."

*Translation: "Life takes your heart/life everyday, a bomb only takes it once."

9. Emraan Hashmi in "Jannat 2"

Once again, Sonu (Emraan Hashmi) plays a smooth talking gun-runner, when asked about his motive to constantly chase after money and worldly luxurious things, he replies: "Log aapne zindagi banate hain, mein aapna jannat banata hu."

*Translation: "People make their lives, I make my heaven."

10. Shah Rukh Khan in "Kal Ho Na Ho"

Last but not least, one of the most iconic movies in Bollywood history; Kal Ho Na Ho. Aman (SRK) is carefree and falls in love with Naina (Preity Zinta), but Naina believes he loves someone else. On his path to death, Aman advises Naina to live freely and happily with the famous line "Aaj.. aaj ek hasi aur band lo, aaj ek dua aur maang lo, aaj ek aason aur peeh lo, aj ek zindagi aur jee lo, aaj ek sapna aur dekh lo..aaj, kya pata, kal ho na ho." Any true Bollywood fan can recite this line by heart.

*Translation: "Today.. laugh more today, ask one more prayer today, cry one more tear today, live life once more today, dream once more today..today, who knows, you may not have tomorrow."

*Note: all translations are not word for word