17 Icebreaker Questions To Get To Know Your New College Roommate

3. What's one place you've always wanted to go to, but never could?

3576

Going to college is such an exciting and amazing time in anyone's life. If you're living off campus, you'll be away from family and friends, you most likely won't know a ton of people, and you'll have to start fresh in so many ways. You'll also be meeting your future roomie and that's nerve-racking in itself. Here's a list of 17 things you can ask your future roomie that will totally break the ice in a completely non-awkward way. And who knows? You might just be meeting your new best friend.

1. Do you have any pets?

This is one of the most popular ice breaker questions to ask your roommate because everyone loves animals and everyone loves talking about THEIR animals. If they say they do have pets, ask to see pictures! Not only will they share a part of you with them, but you'll also be able to see some adorable animals. It's a total win-win!

2. Do you have any siblings?

gfycat.com

This is an awesome way to get to know your new roommate AND to get a shoe-in with their family.

This ice breaker question will open up a world of opportunities (pun intended). You'll be able to hear about some awesome experiences and you'll also be able to get a little glimpse into what they like and don't like.

4. Do you party?

This may be an awkward question at first, but it's a need-to-know. Coming from a room with a mixed bag of 8 people, it was helpful to know people's lifestyles up front so there weren't any surprises in the room.

5. Do you stay up late?

You will NEED to know if your roomie thrives at night. Not only will you know how to adjust to their schedule, but you'll be able to buy a blackout eye mask ahead of time.

6. Are you a morning person?

This is another need-to-know ice breaker question to ask your roommate. If you both are morning people, you'll be able to thrive off of each other's energy! However, if one of you is not a morning person (like me), you'll be able to know not to clink around your coffee mugs in the morning while you're getting some much needed java to jumpstart the day.

7. Do you have any tattoos?

This is such an awesome question to ask your roommate. As a person who's tattooed, I LOVE being able to show off my tattoos and share what they mean. That, in all honesty, is the dream of an person who's endured the tat needle.

8. What's your major?

This ice breaker question can lead to so many more questions! For example, why they picked that major, what they want to do with it, and how long they've wanted to go into that field. Be prepared for this question to launch a great (and probably long) conversation.

9. What's your hometown like?

People like sharing what made them them, who raised them, and what atmosphere contributed to who they are today. Even if they don't like where they lived, there is a reason and it's a great part of their story.

10. What's your favorite drink?

If they don't drink, make sure you know that! If you're of age and you drink, that could be a huge trigger to others - you never know what people are going through. This ice breaker question is great for putting out feelers if someone's uncomfortable, and if they're totally into drinking (and of age), you get a feel for their personality via their go-to drink!

11. What are your classes this semester?

The question for your roommate is great that way you can see if you have any classes together! If you don't know anyone at your new school, you'll have at least ONE person to know if your class and that's more comforting than you'd think.

12. Who's your favorite singer?

A CLASSIC question! You can learn part of your roommate's personality just from who they listen to.

13. What kind of music do you like and when?

This is a loaded icebreaker question because there are two parts. You can learn what they like to listen to for different occasions. What do they listen to when they study? When they're stressed? When they're getting ready to go out? Keep a list and even make a join playlist that both of you can add to for certain moments. That's a great bonding moment!

14. What's your study style?

The last thing a fellow student wants to do is mess up someone when they're in the studying zone. Learn how each other studies so that you can be courteous. Do they like being alone? Have them tell you a time to be out of the dorm so they can focus. Do they like to study with someone? Synchronize schedules so you both can be productive together!

15. What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

For those days when the dorm is PMSing at the same time or if someone's going through a tough breakup, know their favorite ice cream flavor so you can surprise them when they need it most.

16. What's one word you would use to describe yourself?

You can tell a lot about a person by the way they talk about themselves to others. This is a great question to see how they truly feel.

17. Are you more of an introvert or extrovert?

This ice breaker question for your roomie is another need-to-know. If they don't like being around people, maybe hang out at someone else's dorm instead of bring them back to yours.

From Your Site Articles