I Ran A 5k Without Training For It, And My Body Hasn't Been The Same Since

My knees and ankles were throbbing in pain, there was sweat dripping down my back, but I felt a euphoric feeling throughout my body.

1265

A few weeks ago, I heard that there was a 5k "Turkey Trot" run going on at my university. I had gone on short jogs before, usually less than 2 miles each with an average of 13 or so minutes per mile. Nothing to boast about whatsoever. Though, for some reason when I saw the ad for the race, something exciting sparked in me. I wanted to run the 5k. I wanted to try something new, and push my body to its limits. Just how far could I run?

What makes matters even more interesting is that I have mobility issues and I need a cane to comfortably walk long distances. I didn't exactly think through the ramifications of running 3.1 miles without any support. I also have exercise-induced asthma but my inhaler had been misplaced for months...definitely not the best combination.

What I did know was that I wanted to run the 5k. I did not want to stop or walk. I wanted to be able to genuinely cross "run a 5k" off my bucket list.

On the day of the event, I showed up to the meeting spot where I was met with about 10 other people who were obviously either experienced runners or on the cross-country team. I was definitely the odd-one-out. Nonetheless, I grabbed the map and started stretching.

I started feeling a little anxious when it hit me that I really didn't know what I was getting myself into. What if my feet give out and I fall? What if I have an asthma attack? All very real concerns. But it was too late to back out. How embarrassing would it be to just walk away from the starting line?

My heart was pumping as I heard "30 seconds...15 seconds...5..4..3..2..GO!" and I took off. My strategy was to blast my music into my earbuds to distract myself from what I was going to be doing.

I started off foolishly trying to keep up with the other runners, but slowly a gap between me and everyone else grew larger and larger. But, I kept my head up because I was doing this for me.

After about a mile, I started getting really exhausted and dehydrated. The runners ahead of me were out of sight, and I realized I had no idea where I was going. The way the race was laid out, once you reach the midway point, you would turn around and head back. I expected everyone to pass by me on their way back, but that never happened. I pulled out the crumpled map, but it was impossible to follow. I just kept running forward in hopes I would eventually get back on track.

I eventually made it to the midway point, to which I was met with someone who asked me if I was even doing the Turkey Trot. I sad yes, and he told me I was coming from the completely wrong way. I had run an extra .2 miles and made it to the midway point at the same time as the people walking the 5k...

Still, I kept my head up and headed back the right way this time.

Or so I thought.

I ended up getting lost on the way back as well and running even more distance than I needed to. Still, I never stopped running. I looked down at my phone and it told me I had run 3.37 miles total instead of the 3.1 miles I was supposed to. Oops. I decided to stop my run right there, even though it would've been so gratifying to cross that finish line. I reminded myself again that I was doing this for me and I had surpassed my goal with flying colors.

I walked about a half-mile to cool off, and I began reflecting on my experience. My knees and ankles were throbbing in pain, there was sweat dripping down my back, but I felt a euphoric feeling throughout my body. I had always heard about "runner's high" but I honestly thought it was fake until I felt it myself. I felt accomplished and proud of myself, which totally outweighed the physical damage done to my body.

Would I recommend running a 5k without training for it? Absolutely not.

It's been weeks and my feet and knees have not recovered. I've become more dependant on my cane for walking than ever before. However, the experience was almost spiritual for me - I learned that I'm capable of way more than I thought I was.

I would recommend pushing your limits and seeing what you can accomplish, though, just maybe with a bit of training first.