5 Ways To Bring More Hygge Into Your Life

The art of being "consciously cozy."

458
Unsplash

Hygge has become one of my favorite things in the whole world. It is one thing that can ground me like nothing else. Now you might be asking yourself, "What in the heck is this word that I do not understand?" If that's the case, congratulations! You're about to learn the Danish art of being "consciously cozy."

To get a more comprehensive understanding of hygge (HOO-ga), click here. I'll be glazing over some of its concepts and terms here, to give you an overall understanding of what hygge actually is.

As I mentioned before, hygge is a word that comes from Denmark, and it is a word with one meaning that can be interpreted in many ways. For some, hygge might be sitting and reading a book in a cozy coffee shop on a snowy afternoon. For others, it may be sitting and drinking cider with friends, surrounded by candlelight.

It is whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside (that's my personal definition of it.)

"How can I get more hygge in my life?" If this is the question on your mind right now, then sit back, grab a blanket, turn off those fluorescent lights, and light some candles. You're going to enjoy the winter a lot more after reading all about hygge.

1. Candles, candles, candles

I wouldn't hesitate to say that candles are the biggest way to introduce more hygge into your life. A study that polled Danes found that most burn more than five candles at a time (which, to us Americans, may seem like a real fire hazard.)

Usually, candles burned are unscented, since there are so many. Never fear, if you live in a dorm or are particularly forgetful, using LED candles is just as good and just as hygge.

2. Be comfy

It's pretty hard to be completely at ease with tight skinny jeans on. Many Danes have hyggebukser, or a cozy pair of pants that you might not wear in public. So go out and get some nice soft sweatpants and cozy up. Some of my picks for hyggebukser are here, here, and here.

3. Drink up!

One of the things that is the most hygge to me is having a warm drink on hand. I absolutely feel my most relaxed with a cuppa, my favorite being Twinings Chai in French Vanilla or a nice cappuccino.

I highly suggest finding out what your favorite warm drink is and having it readily available to you for whenever that hygge mood strikes.

4. Find your nook

An important hygge concept is finding your hyggekrog, or cozy little nook. This could be the couch in the corner of your living room, a chair with some blankets on it, or wherever you want it to be. For me, this is simply my bed with an extra pillow and a few more blankets.

5. Take your time

It's been said that the longer it takes to prepare something, the more hygge it is. This is the perfect excuse to break out those recipes you bookmarked ages ago and get to it. Whether it be for a stew or brownies from scratch, take your time while making your delicious treat, and you will enjoy it all the more. Here is a great example of a super delicious recipe to make.

Hygge is something that is different for everyone yet universally understood. Praticing any kind of hygge that makes you feel good is practicing good hygge. I wish you well on your cozy journey, friend.