How I Transformed My Life

How I Transformed My Life

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

254
How I Transformed My Life
https://www.businessinsider.com/fitness-exercise-workout-myths-advice-2018-8

My whole life I had been tall, lengthy, and thin. I played sports through my adolescent years and my mother was over the top about healthy meals. A pound was never gained no matter how much I ate. What happened after I "left the nest" is a different story...

College was the end of my healthy days.

The freshman 15 was more like 25. The frequent drinking followed by the greasy, hangover-curing meals became a daily routine. I now had access to a plethora of unhealthy food and trust me, I ran with it.

I remember returning home for Thanksgiving and causing my sister's jaw to drop from my weight gain. For some reason, I wasn't bothered by her reaction and maybe that was because I didn't understand the 180-degree spin my life would take.

It took me two more years to realize that my life was always in shambles, and not just physically.

I lost the qualities that made me who I was through my newly adopted habits. For three years I held no self-worth. Any decision I made was unintentionally destructive and I needed it to stop.

In the summer months following my junior year, I was stuck on the thought of changing my life. 4 months of hard work, self-control, determination, and self-care gave me everything and more. I transformed my body, mind, and perspective on life.

These changes have motivated me to continue working toward bigger goals. These changes also taught me that I could do anything I set my mind to.

Everyone always asks me "how did you do it?" expecting an elaborate list of meals and workouts, but the truth is you have to really want it. I'm talking dragging yourself to the gym when you don't feel like it. I'm talking waking up at 7 A.M. cringing at the alarm. I'm talking a salad while everyone else eats a burger. I'm talking wanting it deep in your bones.

Here are a few healthy habits and lifestyle changes that I have made in the past few months:

1. There is too much to accomplish each day to sleep in late. I avoid missing out on time with friends, family, and academics by working out early in the morning.

2. Diets are a myth. How many times have you said "my diet starts tomorrow" or broken your promise to eat better before it even started? Exactly. Losing and keeping weight off requires permanent lifestyle changes.

3. It's ok to pig out sometimes. That one piece of pizza isn't going to put 5 pounds back on your body.

4. Exercising is the cocktail party, not the main event. Exercising alone won't give you life-changing results. Think of your progress as 70% diet 30% exercise.

5. Lifting weights will not make you bulky. If you want to define and tone your body, here's where you start.

6. Consistency is key. Don't expect results in one month or even two. It will take about 4-6 months for real progress to show. Be patient, it's worth the wait.

7. Set long-term goals. Put the scale away and put a pair of tight-fitting pants in the back of your closet. You'll be surprised at how loose they've become when you check back in 4 months.

8. Drink black coffee. This will not only wake you up but also prevents diseases, increases fiber intake, and decreases your risk for heart disease.

9. Balance your physical health, emotional health, social life, family, academics, and career equally. There will be times one takes priority, but check yourself regularly to make sure you have a balance between each.

10. Make your go-to drink a vodka seltzer with lime. This will save you from those sneaky late night calories in sugary mixers.

11. Walk more. Stop driving places that are easily walkable.

12. Don't skip out on breakfast. Even if you're in a rush, grab a granola bar or fruit. It will kick-start your body for the day.

13. Put yourself first. People will try to break you and pressure you into altering your daily routine for their own convenience. Don't listen. Make a daily to-do list when you wake up and stick to it.