How Your Sleep Position Affects Your Health?

You changed into your pajamas, turn off the lights, and get yourself ready to sleep. How do you prefer to sleep, on the back, on your side, or on your tummy? Although there’s no scientific result that sleeping position affects your back, here are some interesting facts that have been discovered.

187855
Sleep Position

Side Sleeping

Sleeping on your side, especially left side, is thought to have many benefits to your overall health. This sleeping position allows your organs to get rid of toxins, and help relief chronic lower back pain. However, change your sides: you don’t have to stick to one side the entire night.

Freefall

If this sleeping position is not familiar to you, you should know that at least 7% of the world’s population sleeps that way. It’s when you lie on your belly with your arms around you, and your head turned to one side. If you’re among those who like to sleep in this position, some studies suggest that generally, you’re a social person who often likes to speak their minds.

Back Sleeping

Now, this is a very common sleeping position, but incredibly painful to some people, as it causes lower back pain. If you already experience back pain, sleeping on your back will make it even worse. If you snore, it will increase that problem, too. If you find yourself familiar with this situation, it’s best to address a doctor who might help you solve those health problems.

Sleeping on Your Belly

Do you like to sleep on your tummy, but experience problems oftentimes? The position might not help you. If you experience insomnia, chances are that you’re not comfortable sleeping in this position. It can tense your neck and your lower back. But if this is how you like to sleep, you might consider using a very soft cooling pillow to keep your neck comfortable.

Soldier Position

This is a kind of a weird sleeping position, but very common. It’s when you sleep with your arms down and very close to your body. Studies have shown that people who sleep like this may be quieter and more relaxed. Lying on your back with your arms tight to your body is actually a good sleeping position, as it helps maintain your spine in a straight line.

Starfish

Starfish is when you lie on your back and sleep with your arms lifted up near your head. According to studies, only 5% of people sleep in this position. Sleeping in a starfish position may induce lower back pain, which interferes with your normal sleep. If you experience back pain, consider placing a pillow under your knees, so you can align the natural curve of your spine.

People spend roughly one-third of their lives sleeping or napping. But if you have trouble sleeping, you can experience health issues. Sleep quality matters, so if you don’t feel well-rested when waking up, perhaps it’s time to practice some good sleep habits.