How To Take On Finals Week Like A Pro

How To Take On Finals Week Like A Pro

No matter what school you go to, finals week is coming up soon. This week is dreaded by pretty much every student so here are some tips on how to do your best on all of your finals!

17
https://pixabay.com/en/writing-writer-notes-pen-notebook-923882/

"Pain is temporary, GPA is forever."

1. Double check the times and dates of your finals 

Knowing when you are going to take your final is the first step to acing it! Yes, it sounds like common sense to know when your exams are but it's important to look at your schedule of all your exams together. This way you can make sure to take off work for any of those Saturday finals and you can also see if you have more than one in a day. If you have two finals in a day, many professors will be flexible and allow you to work something out to move the final.

2. Start studying at least a week in advance 

Starting your studying as early as possible is your best option. The more review you have of all the material, the better you are going to be able to retain it and use it on the final.

3. Check with your professors to know what type of exam it will be

Some finals are cumulative of the whole semester and some are just on the most recent unit taught. This makes a huge difference in what you need to study so knowing this is an absolute must. Also be sure to know if the exam will include multiple choice, essays, written responses, or a combination.

4. Take study breaks 

Some people study for hours straight without taking breaks but it is way more beneficial to study for a shorter period of time then allow yourself a break. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘈𝘵𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘤 declares that you can reach "perfect productivity" by working for 52 minutes, and then taking a break for 17. Everyone has different study habits so you just need to know what works for you.

5. Don't party the week of or the week before

To some people this is obvious and to others, they choose to ignore it. The week before finals is a big deal. You should be preparing yourself the best you can, instead of going out. A lot of campuses refer to the week before finals as a "dry week" because no one goes out, everyone is staying in and studying. Giving up a weekend of going out will definitely be worth it.

6. When the exam is over, stop stressing about it

It's the absolute worst to walk out of a classroom after an exam feeling like you didn't do well on it, but once the exam is over there is nothing more you can do. It is better to forget about it and study harder for your next one. Don't dwell on your past exams, it's a waste of time.

7. Attend any review session your professor offers

Many professors will hold review sessions before the final and all students are welcome to attend. These reviews are usually extremely helpful! Attending the reviews gives you more time to ask questions and review any material you may be confused about. Professors usually try to touch on everything that will be on the exam in these reviews which is extremely beneficial to the student.

8. Remember, you're paying for this!

By the time finals arrive, a lot of us students are tired and exhausted from the semester we endured but that is no reason to give up on finals. We (or or parents) are paying thousands each semester so it is the least we can do to try or best on all our exams. Extra effort now will pay off in the long run.

Finals week is something we all go through over and over again but our efforts will pay off when we earn that job that we dream about.