How To Survive the Post-Dorm Life

How To Survive the Post-Dorm Life

Whoever thought adulting was a good and fun idea was seriously disturbed.

10
How To Survive the Post-Dorm Life
Emilia Rodriguez-Vera

I moved out of my dorm the very last minute I could because it was the last time I would live in the them.

I had a wonderful time in the dorms because I met some of my best friends and the dining halls were great since I didn't have to worry about buying and cooking food.

I moved into an apartment immediately since I'm doing summer classes and as fun as it sounds having an apartment, it's a real struggle.

You have to make sure you pay your rent and your utilities on time. You have to purchase furniture if you're apartment doesn't come furnished. You have to go grocery shopping and have to make your own food. You have to clean a lot more to make sure you can get your security deposit back.

There's so much responsibility that comes with having an apartment.

The dorms were nice as the only think you had to worry about was keeping your side of the room clean. Although, there were many rules to abide by while living in the dorms and if you didn't, you risked getting a write-up from an RA.

The nice thing about an apartment, it is more spacious for more people to come over for a get-together, be able to have alcohol out in the open, and an overall sense of independence.

I came from having my mom doing pretty much everything for me, to the UCLA housing workers cleaning up for all of those living in the dorms and making our food (big shout-out for their hard work! I hope they start getting paid the living wages they deserve soon!), to now relying on myself completely to do everything on top of my schoolwork.

Living in apartment definitely teaches you how to manage your time, how to clean up after yourself, how to make yourself food, and being able to use your money into necessities such as rent, utilities, and groceries. It gets frustrating at times after having so much help handed out but it is helping me become more independent.

Enjoy your time being fully dependent on your family, once that ends... well, good luck Charlie.