How To Survive New York Comic Con

How To Survive New York Comic Con

Trust me, it's harder than it sounds.

22
How To Survive New York Comic Con

It's that time of year again, autumn has officially started, and October is right around the corner. You may think that it's the month of everything pumpkin spice, apple pie, and Halloween, but it's also the month of a massive event for New York City: New York Comic Con. New York Comic is the biggest pop culture convention held on the East Coast. According to the official event Web site, last year, New York Comic Con attracted over 167,000 attendees, making it the largest comic book and pop culture gathering in the country. It is held at the Javits Center in Midtown Manhattan. I have been lucky enough to be an attendee of New York Comic Con and will be attended it again for my fifth year this October.

In all my years I have learned that while Comic-Con is an entertaining and exciting event, it can be quite overwhelming if you aren't prepared. So if you plan on attending for the first time this year, or if you're attending again, but you still feel like you haven't learned the ropes. Here are some basic tips to help you make the most of your New York Comic Con experience.

Get There Early

The official start time for this convention is 10 AM, that is when the show floor opens; the panels don't start until 11 AM, so if you're going for those then you can probably afford to get there a little later. If you're going to be cosplaying and checking out the show floor for most of the day like myself, then getting there early is a must. Once they scan your badge, you're not free to start roaming. In all the years I've gone they had us wait outside one side entrance of the building or in a large room on the ground floor of the convention center until the official open time of the show floor. It may sound irritating, but sitting and standing in a line waiting for the floor to open is a better option than showing up later and trying to maneuver through the vast crowds of people that got there first. This way you can check out more of the show floor before the crowds get too crazy.

Know What You Want to Do at the Con

The show floor has many things to offer, including the latest and greatest in comics, anime, manga, video games, graphic novels, toys, movies, and television. However, New York Comic Con also offers panels where you can take part in a Q&A with the creator and/or actors of your favorite show or television series, autograph sessions where you can meet and get an autograph from your favorite creator, and screening rooms where you can see sneak peeks of upcoming movies or television series before they hit the small or big screen. So if you plan on going to a panel or autograph session make sure you check the site ahead of time to figure out the location of the event and where it will be held; in addition to areas of the Javits Center, the con also holds events off-site at the Hammerstein Ballroom and the Theater at Madison Square Garden.

Make sure you show up on time for these events as well, because if they run out of seats, then you won't be able to get in.

Don't Go Alone

This one isn't a requirement, but I would highly recommend going with a friend; make sure they bought a ticket too. If you plan on wandering around the show floor and looking at all the exhibits and the merchandise for sale, it just seems a lot better when you have someone to converse with and to get a second opinion on the merchandise when you are thinking about buying something. Plus, if you're a cosplayer like myself, then it's a lot more enjoyable when you have a friend with you who's also in cosplay.

Bring Your Lunch

While there is a food court on in the JavitsCenter that can offer a variety of food, it would be easier if you brought your lunch with you. That way you save money, and when you want to take a break and have a bite to eat you don't have to wait in a line.

Keep an Eye on Your Things

This tip goes for your backpack/bag/purse, coat, whatever you may buy, and your costume or props if you are a cosplayer. As I have mentioned many times before, there are crowds at New York Comic Con. I can remember having to link arms with my friends several times to make sure we didn't lose each other because it was bumper-to-bumper.

When you are trying to get through a crowd of people, and when you're weaving and bobbing through other people, there is still a considerable chance that you can drop something; or if you are in cosplay, then you might lose a prop. Or depending on what your cosplay is, part of your costume could get caught on something, or someone might step on it.

Know The Rules of the Event

This tip is one that I cannot stress enough. The event is so big, and there are so many people for the security and staff to be concerned about, and you also want to make sure that you watch out for your safety, so your experience is enjoyable. Breaking the rules can lead to you hurting yourself, or someone else and security may kick you out of the event and refuse to refund your ticket. So before you make sure you look up the rules regarding the weapons policy if you plan on having prop weapons for your cosplay; last year we did not know that the weapons policy changed and my friend had to have her wooden prop weapon checked outside the Javits Center. Make sure you have your badge around your neck around you at all times and be friendly. Everyone is there so they can have a good time. If you're offensive or rude, then you're not only ruining someone else experience but your own as well.

New York Comic Con starts on Thursday, Oct 6 and goes through Sunday, Oct 9. If you use these tips and follow the rules, then you're sure to make the most out of your experience and have fun. Hope to see you there!