10 Tips On Surviving Move-In Weekend

10 Tips On Surviving Move-In Weekend

The rest of your life starts here.

21
10 Tips On Surviving Move-In Weekend
Joe Signorelli

It's about that time: summer is coming to an end, and before you know it, it'll be time to head off (or back) to college. Moving in is stressful no matter what, but trying to move your life into a tiny one room dorm that you share with someone else is nearly impossible. Not only that, but the campus offers countless activities for you to do, and that can be overwhelming as well. So here are a few tips to help smooth along the moving in and the adjusting.

1. Pack your hanging clothes in garbage bags.

Instead of trying to find room for all your hangers and extra clothes, just secure a garbage bag around the clothes you have on hangers. Tie the string around the hangers and secure it. Only put about 12 hangers in each bag. Then when you move in, simply hang it up and cut off the bag. This saves SO much time and hassle.

2. Take the time to organize.

Move in weekend is super busy, and you may want to rush out to all the activities, but don't. Trust me when I say take an hour or so to organize your dorm. Once classes start, you're not going to want to take the time to do this, plus it'll make your life a lot easier.

3. Say a proper goodbye to your family.

It might be a while until you see them again, and your mom is going to miss you. Don't rush them out the door; accept their help and let your dad chat up the neighbors. Give them an extra long hug and promise to behave.

4. Only go to welcome events that interest you.

Your school is going to have a buttload of stuff planned for the weekend, but don't try to do it all. Only go to the things that interest you (or offer free food); that way you'll meet people with similar interests and you won't get too tired.

5. Meet as many people as you can.

This is your chance to meet people who are in the same position as you. Say hi and don't hold back; get their Snapchats and start to make friends. This is the time when it's easiest to make connections, so take advantage of that.

6. Be careful.

If you do chose to participate in welcome weekend extracurriculars, be cautious. Police love to hand out minors to freshmen welcome weekend. Also just be careful in general; it's new territory full of new people so use your brain.

7. Get to know the campus.

Walk around and familiarize yourself with campus; try and find some of your classrooms — or at least the buildings. This way, when classes start you won't be as nervous.

8. Meet your hallmates.

If you are living in the dorms or an apartment, get to know the people on your floor, prop the door open and say hi. I've met some of the coolest people just by knocking on the door or running into someone in the bathroom.

9. DON'T WEAR YOUR LANYARD AROUND YOUR NECK.

Once again for the people in the back. Just don't do it. Not only do you look silly, but it makes you an easy target. It's obvious you're a freshman who isn't sure of their surroundings and might make you more vulnerable for an attack (but that's why you have pepper spray).

10. Have fun.

Let loose a little bit and don't be afraid of looking childish. Do what you want to do and make the right friends who enjoy having fun with you. College is an amazing experience, so make sure you start it off right. These are the best years of your life.