How To Survive Finals Prep

How To Survive Finals Prep

Living through the weeks before exams.

7
How To Survive Finals Prep
Sarah Welch

We all have our ways of surviving finals week. Some of us cry, some of us eat, and some of us wear the same T-shirt for six days straight. You do you. As long as you're alive at the end of your last exam, we won't judge you.

But as focused as we all are on making it through the week in which we're expected to suddenly remember everything we learned three months ago, we all kind of forget about surviving the preparation for that week. Below are five ways to handle the stress of finals prep so that you come out alive on the other side.

1. Get enough sleep.

"What? Sleep? I don't have time for sleep! I have to memorize every single bone in the human body, 75 Bible verses, and all of Shakespeare's sonnets. No sleeping for me!"

I know it sounds crazy. But you'll thank me later. Sleeping for a proper amount of time each night actually makes it easier for you to remember things. I'm not going to give you a number of hours that you should be using to sleep each night because everyone is different, but the powers that be say that anywhere between six and eight is a good number.

2. Drink lots of water.

"But I got a brand-new Keurig just for finals..."

Sorry, fam. Caffeine is a great way to wake up in the morning or give yourself a mid-afternoon boost, but being hydrated is much more effective in the long run. Not only does drinking enough water help you focus more and think faster, but it takes care of that zit on your forehead and helps you lose some of that Freshman 15!

3. Don't let other people tell you how to study.

"These kids from my bio class asked me to study with them today, and I know I don't study well in groups, but they're really cool and really smart, so maybe it'll work."

You know what works best for you. Don't let people pressure you into studying with them if it won't help you! But if you know studying with other people will be good for you, don't be shy about going out of your way to find a study buddy. Chances are, someone else is in the same boat as you and doesn't know who to ask either.

4. Don't try to read everything you were assigned over the semester.

"I literally have not looked at this chapter since January and I have no idea what's in it. I'm just going to read it again...and the next one...shoot, I don't remember this either..."

SparkNotes exists for a reason. So do notes (you have classmates who can help you out on that front if you didn't take enough). DO NOT read the entire textbook as preparation for an exam. You'll remember even less than you already do and you'll just stress yourself out all over again.

5. Eat one package of Oreos a day.

"A whole package?"

It works. It's been scientifically proven. By me. Don't ask questions.