How To Survive Another School Year

How To Survive Another School Year

It's August and that means it's time for the back to school craze, but don't worry, here are a few tips to keep you on top!
82

It's August which means kids, teens, college students, and parents are all dreading the same thing; school. Although, school doesn't have to be something to dread, summer may be ending, or already ended for some, but with a good mindset and these helpful tips school might just be enjoyable.

If school has taught me anything, it's that you can never know what's going to happen, which is why I gathered a few items to aid in any situation. The first is something I know almost every kid in my school uses and the second is something that never disappoints me: portable phone chargers and extra cash. Keeping a portable charger in your locker, backpack, or bag can mean easy access when you're far from an outlet. Keeping one near by can also be a huge lifesaver for when you forget to charge that night or morning. As for the cash, it's been there for me during all those forgotten bake sales and last minute ticket sales. This makes having some extra money one of my most used tips!

Hand sanitizer, hair bands, band aids, chapstick, gum, and a tide stick. I keep all of these in my backpack at all times, and at one point or another, I've been extremely thankful for each item. I can't tell you how many times the bathroom has run out of soap, I have forgotten a hair band for gym, my breath spelled bad, or I spilled something on my clothes, but these small, inexpensive items can be amazing for you or a friend.

The above objects are great for social emergencies, but that's only part of surviving school. The more daunting is just about everything else, and while our tests and homework take up most of our time, keeping organized can make a huge difference in study habits, grades, and time.

As far as organization goes, I recommend an assignment notebook, post-it notes, locker shelves if you use lockers, and binder dividers if you prefer binders, but overall, color coating.

The assignment notebook is something I used to skip, thinking I could remember it all. Then I started forgetting page numbers, dates, and full assignments. Taking an extra minute to write things down goes a long way and can reduce stress from trying to remember everything.

Post-it notes, or something of the like, are also a great way to remember important messages and can be fun as well with their colors and designs. Locker shelves and binder dividers can also help you keep subjects straight as well as divide what's important. Lastly, keeping everything color coated is a surefire way to make grabbing what you need quick and easy.

But lets face it, for most of us school isn't fun. Well now that the social emergencies and ways to stay organized are covered, we can move on to the fun category, items to brighten your day!

You can start improving your day as soon as you get up by creating a morning routine that makes you happy and works with your schedule, but don't forget to leave time to pick out an outfit. Feeling good in your clothing choice can improve your mood more than you think and give you a major confidence boost.

Another way to boost your mood can be as simple as a playlist. Music is one of my favorite ways to gain energy and get excited about the day to come. Books, paper to doodle with, or other methods of entertainment can also create a sudden happiness you wished you had earlier.

Other school supplies like colorful or patterned folders, binders, notebooks and your favorite pens and pencils can put a smile on your face as you get to pull them out!

There are a lot of simple ways to improve your boring school days, so the best thing to do is be prepared and do what works best for you.