How To Stay Organized

How To Stay Organized

Even if you're not good at it.

4
How To Stay Organized

It's gotten to that point in the semester where everything seems like it's falling on us college students. We try our best every year and semester to stay on our assignments, but when they feel like they're piling on, we tend to lose control of our organization and spiral into our freakouts. There are a few ways to stay on top of everything though.

Calendars

Pottery Barn

Having a calendar, especially a whiteboard calendar, allows you to stay on top of things and add any last-minute things that are due on that day or even change things around if due dates get pushed back. I find having this helpful to keep big due dates straight and right in front of my face, so I know how close everything is getting. It allows me to also keep general life things straight and in my head. Some like doing this on their phone but it's also good to keep in on something physical so you are constantly seeing these dates.

Planner

allaboutplanners.com.au

Having a planner with you is also very important. This allows you to have something to write down things your professors say in class that you may not have written down already. This allows you to write down every due date the professor sets and it also lets you know the little things coming up during that week that are due.

To-Do Lists

cdn.vox-cdn.com

To-do lists are your friend! They help you stay on top of everything in life and it is so satisfying to cross off each item as they are getting done. I have an entire notebook dedicated to a weekly to-do list. I do it weekly so that I don't feel like I'm getting overwhelmed but I'm also looking at the week ahead. There is nothing too little to add to this list. Need to make a phone call? Put it on the list. Too busy that you need to schedule your showers? Put it on the list. Put which days you need to do everything. I also have a daily list on my phone that allows me to keep track of everything that needs to get done that day. It keeps me on track and less stressed because it allows me to know what absolutely needs to be done.

Color Code Everything!

i.pinimg.com

Keep everything color coded. This helps you know what thing is for which class or just for life. I have colors for everything, even my boyfriend's soccer games, and it's the same colors across the entire to-do list, calendar, and planner. Everything has a specific color and it helps me stay on track. This is one of the easiest things to do while in school, plus it makes everything more colorful!

Now does this make me seem a little OCD? Yes but it's helped me not be so stressed out about all the assignments I have due. It's also so nice to see the physical evidence that I'm getting things done. Now I'm not perfect with my organization but this really helps keeps stress levels down. I still have the normal college mental breakdowns but this limits how many I end up having. Being organized is no easy feat but it truly helps keep things straight.