How to Stand Out on Your Resume

How to Stand Out on Your Resume

Looking for a job is never simple, but here are some small yet critical things which can make you appear that much more valuable.

4
Look good on your resume
https://pixabay.com/images/id-2445060/

With jobless claims continuing to rise due to the ongoing pandemic, job seekers find themselves in a very new and unfamiliar environment. Even if coronavirus cases and deaths continue to decline in the following months and a cure is found soon, we are in a new normal where companies are looking for skills which have suddenly grown in demand.

But with so many more jobseekers on the market, how does one stand out? Looking for a job is never simple, but here are some small yet critical things which can make you appear that much more valuable.

1. Have more than one resume

You probably know about how important cover letters are to a job application, as they help the company's HR learn more about you as a person and show you are not lazy. But if you understand the importance of submitting a personalized cover letter, you should also realize that it is important to personalize your resume. A resume for a marketing job should not be the same as a resume for an IT job, even if you have the qualifications to handle either position.

Consequently, have one "master resume" which lists every major accomplishment you did at all of your positions, and do not worry about making this resume overly long or how it is designed. When you apply for a job, make a new, active resume using the parts of the master resume which fit that job the best. This will require more work, but will be worth it as it makes you much more likely to get a job which fits your skillset.

2. Build up your Online Presence

The coronavirus world means we are online even more than before, and there are many ways to take advantage of that. An initial first start is to consider building a website. A website can showcase your design sense, serve as a portal to upload videos or articles you have written, or show as a means of displaying how passionate you are about a certain field.

You can create a website for free using Wix or WordPress and even check out its SEO potential using YEAH! Local. By regularly putting up new articles or being otherwise productive online, you can show that you are committed to remote work and would be useful in this new online economy.

3. Less is More

The more competitive environment may cause you to think that you must cram as much information into your resume so that you can show how many more skills and qualities you have compared to others. This is a mistake. It is often said that recruiters only look at a resume for only six seconds. While that statistic may actually be inaccurate according to a Medium writer, it does not take away from the fact that you only have a small timeframe to impress the recruiter. Cramming in too much information will only cause confusion.

When creating a personalized resume, only focus on those key points which will truly make you stand out. If there is more you want to add, put it in the cover letter. No job on an active master should have more than three, and really only two, bullet points which address what you accomplished there. Get straight to the point.