​New City, Now What?

​New City, Now What?

Tips and tricks for setting up your new life in a new city

5
​New City, Now What?
Emma Epperly

Moving can be hard, but it’s something we are all used to as college students. We rarely live in the same place for more than three or four months. Whether it’s moving apartments or moving across the country, changing your home base is disorienting. So, to help you get back to your best and most relaxed self, here are some tips and tricks for setting up in your new home.

1. Don’t buy stuff in preparation for your move

Starting a new job? Don’t buy a ton of work clothes because you haven’t actually been immersed in your new environment yet. Moving apartments? No matter how much you measure, that couch might just be too big for your new living room. Spend some time in the space before you spend that money. Need a gym membership? Enjoy a few free trials before you settle on one because no matter how good the photos look online it’s a whole different story in person. This can even go for your transportation. It may seem like the metro is the easiest way to get to and from work but until you actually try it how do you really know?

2. Make your bed first

I know this may sound silly but it’s important. Getting your bed set up and dressed up is an important first step because sleep is the key to life. Knowing that after your long day of moving and running around you have a clean, comfy and cuddly place to rest your eyes is the best feeling. It also is a great way to feel like your space is decorated while you still don’t have time to decorate. Toss those throw pillows on your bed and the mood is set.

3. Determine what your essentials are for the next week

Are you starting class right away? Or maybe a new job? That’s what you need to be prepared for, not general life at home. So, if you’re starting class, pick up your books, read your syllabuses and set up a study space. If you’re starting a new job or internship, get your work clothes unpacked, map out your route to your new office and read your orientation packet. These are the important things coming up in your life, so forget about setting up your new kitchen or unpacking your décor, that can wait but this can’t.

4. Be realistic

Are you really going to use the membership you just bought to that super trendy yoga place? Or should you buy a regular gym membership instead? Is it worth your time to set up a crafting nook in your tiny new apartment when you probably won’t have time to craft anyways? The answer: NO. Don’t spend your time or money on things that are unrealistic, especially in a new place. You haven’t adjusted to your new schedule or surroundings yet so these splurges are unrealistic.

5. Make a new neighborhood bucket list

It is really easy to get caught up in your busy life and forget to explore your new surroundings. This could simply be trying your neighborhood coffee shop or if you’re in a new city exploring the whole new area. There are a lot of things that only the locals know so ask your coworkers and new friends some of the things they love to do. Try out your local farmer’s market, see if there are any museums you want to check out and explore all the local dive bars and restaurants.

6. Don’t be quick to judge

This is a good idea to live by all the time but especially when you are in a new place. Every experience you have won’t be amazing at first but give everything and everyone a second chance. Don’t hate on the restaurant you went to because the service wasn’t great one time and definitely don’t hate on the new neighbor who recommended it to you. Just be open minded because when you move to a new place that means trying a lot of new things. While websites like Yelp and Google are helpful, don’t take every review you read at face value. Be open to trying things yourself and discovering new places even if their reviews are not exactly perfect.

Moving to a new place can be hard. It shakes up your whole life in some way, shape, or form. Be patient and excited to try new things and find your favorites.