4 Ways To Sell Tickets For Losing Teams.

Even they have fans.

339
CBC

The New England Patriots will have no issues selling tickets for regular season games this season. Coming off one of the greatest endings to a Super Bowl game along with being the only professional team in the New England area, filling up Gillette stadium is the least of the Patriots concerns. But what about minor league teams or struggling franchises that who need to come up with innovative ideas to keep fans going to the games despite losing a majority of their games? Here are a couple intuitive ways these teams can keep ticket revenue at a competitive level with winning teams...

1. Finding a niche market.

Depending on where the location of the team is, finding a niche market can be a great way to find and retain loyal fans. For example, with LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) rights becoming very prominent in America, this is a compelling market to sell, too. Multiple researchers have distinguished the buying power of LGBT couples in America. Compared to the average heterosexual couple, research has shown that LGBT couples are more educated and accumulate $94,000 in median household income. (Compared to $86,000 in heterosexual couples). This creates more disposable income and is a market who's buying power is increasing every year. They are also extremely loyal to organizations and companies who market for equality.

2. Promotions for youth organizations (halftime shows).

A bunch of franchises have already instilled these kinds of operations into their program planning. Youth basketball, hockey, football and others compete against one another while the main event is at halftime. This keeps the fans engaged and can boost ticket sales since parents and family members of these young athletes will buy tickets to watch. Also, by selling group tickets at discount prices for youth teams around the area, their families and friends will also buy tickets and fill up stadiums.

3. Utilizing social media.

Social media has become a vital aspect of any sport organization hoping to stay connected with their fans locally and across the world. Teams who have been suffering from consecutive losing seasons must find new ways to interact and keep fans following their page. One way is to reminisce about winning seasons of the past and how the future remains bright for the team. For example, the team's Twitter page can post a photo with the headline, "On this day in 1986, the New York Mets clinched a birth into the Playoffs." This will remind fans that the team has a rich history and it won't be long before they start winning again.

4. Mobile Device Accommodations

It's 2015 and any stadium, arena, or venue without free Wi-Fi for fans is outdated. If a man has two free tickets to a baseball game and wishes to bring his wife who isn't really a fan, this accommodation can be the "make or break" of her decision. With new Snapchat locations and filters, the younger generations love when people see where they are and what they're doing. If arenas begin to institute charging outlets for mobile devices, it could begin a new fad in entertainment industry venues.