How To: Keep Your New Year's Resolution

How To: Keep Your New Year's Resolution

Your resolution doesn't have to just be for the month of January.
42

Maintaining good habits can be a hard thing to conquer, especially when in college. However, getting back into a schedule once classes start back up can actually help keep your New Year’s Resolution. With some tips and some mental determination, any New Year’s Resolution is able to become a simple daily occurrence.

First, looking at your resolution as a habit is a good and accurate way to think about it. While the word habit can sometimes be interpreted as bad, like biting your nails or a nervous tick you may have, habits can be good too. Making a habit of going to the gym every other day, or drinking water during the daytime, are good habits. If you constantly remind yourself to achieve these goals one day at a time, it will become a habit.

Next, plan out your resolution ahead of time. If you want to schedule which days work best to go to the gym for the week, this will help you follow through when it is time to go. Using a planner will definitely help make this happen. I love writing out everything I need to accomplish for the week, and it helps me feel more organized as a person. My planner has an inspirational quote at the top of each page, and these quotes are just a constant reminder to be positive as a whole.

While in the process of your resolution, remember how it will affect you in the long run. Whether it be emotionally, physically, or mentally, it will benefit you for the better in the future. You will become a healthier person, and be able to make more and more resolutions for yourself.

My resolution this year is to not overthink things. I tend to let my mind run, in both social and academic aspects. This year, I hope to take a breathe before assuming things, and to know that everything is ok. Constantly telling myself that will cause me to get in a habit of thinking that way. To help with this I hope to journal more, which will help me write out all of my thoughts on paper, instead of letting them stay stuck in my head. Planning out when to journal will benefit me in keeping that habit, and help my resolution overall. I also remind myself that this process will make be a better person. I will learn how to improve my relationships, and how to be more efficient with school work.

Lastly, do not give up on your resolution. I know that at times it can be very hard to do something out of a normal routine. But, any resolution is for the better. Your resolution could be something small, or something big, but getting into a good habit will be worth it. Incorporating something beneficial into your daily life is something that should be expanded more than for New Year’s. It only takes 21 days to form a habit, so why not have one every month, or every other month. Your resolution can be a change you see in yourself for years to come, not just the month of January.