Best Halloween Movies

31 Of The Best Halloween Movies To Watch For A Spooky, Seasonal Marathon

A balanced mix of gory, classic, and lighthearted films to bang out throughout the entire month of October.

78
'Halloween'

October just isn't complete without a horror movie marathon, but sometimes the movies they're airing on ABC Family or SyFy just won't cut it. Here's a healthy mix of the deranged and delightful movies to watch in preparation for Halloween that's sure to satisfy everyone's taste.

1. "Cabin in the Woods" (2012)

In one of the most engaging horror films made in the past decade, rituals are performed to evil gods to preserve the natural order of the world. For some reason, these rituals all involve cliche tropes, which horror movie fans will relish. In this one, the stoner actually saves the day — or ruins it. You'll have to watch to find out.

2. "Halloween" (2018)

Gear up for THE most exciting event of 2018. Jamie Lee Curtis returns as a totally badass grandma hellbent on protecting her loved ones from the crazed Michael Myers who just. Won't. Die.

3. "Sinister" (2012)

Try saying the Boogeyman isn't scary anymore after he makes your kid drive a lawnmower over your sleeping face.

4. "It" (2017)

Not scary at all, unless you consider an almost seven-foot clown dancing aggressively at you particularly terrifying. "It" still holds as a remarkable movie, teeming with underlying themes. And the kids from "Stranger Things." So you basically HAVE to see it.

5. "The Hills Have Eyes" (2006)

Watch the unrated version if you dare. This is the one movie where the remake is just as spectacular and terrifying as the original.

6. "The Exorcist" (1973)

"YOUR MOTHER SUCKS COCKS IN HELL!"

7. "Carrie" (1976)

Yes, there is a remake, but it doesn't quite capture the creepiness and turmoil of the titular character the way Sissy Spacek artfully did in the 70s rendition of Stephen King's novel. You WILL remember Carrie, or be thrown into an electrical fire.

8. "You Might Be the Killer" (2018)

A slasher film based on a Twitter thread, need I say more?

9. "Veronica" (2017)

Proudly touted as Netflix's scariest movie ever, get ready for the story of a Spanish teenager encountering paranormal activity and trying to protect her smaller siblings from the evil demonic forces she welcomed into this world with a Ouija board. The worst part? It was based on a true story.

10. "Evil Dead" (2013)

A cult favorite since the 80s, this film is definitely NOT for the squeamish.

11. "Get Out" (2017)

Imagine going to your girlfriend's parents' house for the weekend only to find out you're only there to fulfill some weird, racist agenda that involves bodysnatching. #awkward

12. "The Shining" (1980)

"HEEEEEEERE'S JOHNNY!"

13. "The Mist" (2007)

Nothing provides a better setting for religious and political commentary than a deadly supernatural mist where otherworldly creatures lurk to tear you into pieces.

14. "Fright Night" (2011)

Finally, a vampire movie that won't make you want to tear your hair out. Smart, funny, and still packed with enough gore to satisfy all your hardcore horror friends.

15. "The Haunting in Connecticut" (2009)

Your seemingly average haunted house story, except with a mysterious disease and peeled eyelids.

16. "Jigsaw" (2017)

The latest installment in the "Saw" series is just as gruesome and chilling as the last, but also contains a thrilling twist that breathes life into the tired story that will definitely shock you.

17. "Jennifer's Body" (2009)

Featuring Megan Fox in her prime as a seductive succubus who preys on boys after a virgin sacrifice gone wrong, this movie is not only surprisingly nostalgic for the 2000s and the resulting emo phase (Panic! at the Disco was still together! Super low rise jeans were a thing!), it has some of the funniest dialogue you'll see in a horror movie, ever.

18. "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil" (2010)

Meet Tucker and Dale: just two guys being dudes having a vacation in a cabin in the woods, which they're super excited for. Too bad this band of pretentious college kids think they're evil murderous redneck psychopaths.

19. "The Nightmare Before Christmas" (1993)

What kind of Halloween movie list would this be without this instant classic? No Halloween is complete without watching Jack Skellington basically fuck up Christmas at least once.

20. "Beetlejuice" (1988)

"Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!"

21. "Scream" (1996)

One of my personal favorite horror movies of all time, Wes Craven takes the so 90s concept of meta and takes it to a new level. What's more meta than teenagers discussing the logistics of a horror movie while they're completing those very stereotypes? Self-fulfilling prophecy, indeed.

22. "The Addams Family" (1991)

The cutest goth family ever! And come on, every girl definitely thought about being Wednesday Addams for Halloween at least once in their life.

23. "The Craft" (1996)

If there's any such thing as a feminist horror movie, this is it. Come for the 90s fashion, preppy high school setting and hot goth girl, stay for wickedly witchy fun.

24. "Silence of the Lambs" (1991)

"It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again!"

25. "Child's Play" (1988)

More comical than chilling, nothing is quite as charming as watching little Chucky run across the room in his red baby Converse prepared to strangle and stab you.

26. "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" (2007)

This one's for the theater kids.

27. "A Serbian Film" (2010)

For the more hardened people in your friend group who don't bat an eyelash at the sight of grotesque ghouls and laugh at slasher films, this one is sure to make them cower and watch from between their fingers. Hailed as one of the most disturbing films you can ever watch, "A Serbian Film" touches on a variety of taboo subjects that are sure to disturb and shock you, while also doubling as a political statement against the Serbian government. Without giving too much away, this movie is definitely not for the faint of heart, but it will surely leave a lasting impact on you.

28. "Edward Scissorhands" (1990)

A cult classic story about acceptance portrayed in Tim Burton's delightfully ghoulish aesthetics.

19. "Train to Busan" (2016)

More action-packed than scary, Korean film "Train to Busan" is a cross between "The Walking Dead" and "Snakes on a Plane," artfully decorated with character development and emotion. And also zombies.

30. "ABC's of Death" (2012)

26 letters, 26 words, 26 directors, 26 different ways to die. Not all are gruesome, but they're all equally entertaining.

31. "Scary Movie" (1999)

What better way to top off a horror movie marathon than a movie that perfectly satires all of horror's tired tropes into a mind-numbing campy parody? The best game to play while watching any of the "Scary Movies" is which film they're parodying — see which one in your group gets it first!