How To Reclaim The True Meaning Of Christmas

Tis' the season.

111
INTRUMPET

"For unto a child is born this day in the city of David a Savior... who is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11

Tonight, I’m pressing pause on all the holiday craziness and writing to remind myself why it’s really the most wonderful time of the year: it’s the celebration of the birth of the Savior of our world.

Is there any better reason to celebrate?

On Sunday night, it's a good time for everyone to just slow down from the holiday celebrations and be aware of Him. Take a moment from your endless list of things to do and presents to buy, and you’ll find Him right there waiting for you. You’re the reason He came to earth and died for our sins. Do you know what's truly amazing? He wants you to know you're unbelievably worth the ultimate sacrifice He gave on the cross that treacherous day. God sent his only begotten son to this earth in the form of a servant as part of his plan for us to receive the gift of grace and forgiveness.

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.” John 3:16-17

Tonight, I’m praying for a thankful and open heart this Christmas. I pray earnestly that I'll turn my eyes away from being self-centered and remember that He is the reason for the season. Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, is the reason why we give towards one another and defines our definition of everlasting love. Let's be honest, it’s not our own good works that get us through the gates of Heaven, but the sacrifice that was made for anyone who believes. The 25th of December signifies the birth of a King and the redemption of mankind – the one who brought hope, joy, and the promise of eternal life.

The sole purpose of Christmas is to exemplify the meaning of pure, unconditional, and self-denying love, which is the same type of love God showcased by giving up his only son so that we could have everlasting life. The love Jesus shined throughout his life and ministry on earth. We try to reflect our love for Him through our acts of service towards others – especially this time of the year. I constantly fail at this every single day. I become consumed worrying about my own problems that I tend to forget the reason for the season. I don’t help others as much as I should. And I get way too caught up in the unfulfilling lies of this world.

“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given. And his name shall be called…Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” (Isaiah 9:6)

The pursuit of happiness only creates temporary satisfaction, which then creates emptiness and un-fulfillment. There’s a different kind of joy that’s found in in sharing with those in need and having compassion for others. The next time you're in line at the grocery store or stuck in traffic, try to be a little more patient. When someone ask for forgiveness, accept their apology and make amends. Pick up the phone and call friends that you’ve lost touch with over the years. Be appreciative. Remember to keep your promises. Bake something for someone else. The next time someone needs to vent, try to listen instead of voicing your opinions. When you've done something wrong, please apologize. Instead of sitting next to a stranger in total silence, try and start a conversation.

When you're born, your days are already numbered so remember to make the most of your time on earth. And most most importantly, remember to tell your loved ones how much you appreciate them. Remember to show the love God has shown to us this Christmas.