How to Prepare for the 30-Hour Construction Safety and Health Course

Intro

32

OSHA is the leading organization for dealing with occupational hazards under the wing of the Department of Labor. That’s why OSHA provides many different courses and training for hazard prevention. For the construction industry, OSHA has 30-hour courses that teach about construction safety.

So, what does this course entail? What are the learning outcomes from this OSHA 30-hour training, and who is it for? More importantly, how do you prepare for this course if you plan on taking this class for safety regulations and standards? Let’s find all the answers.

What is 30 Hour Construction Safety And Health Course?

OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) provides various different courses. While there are general industry courses, there is also exclusive training made for specific industries. One such course is the 30-hour construction safety and health course.

As the name suggests, this course is made for construction safety and promotes workplace safety in the construction industry. The course teaches the basics of

• Occupational hazards
  • Compliance with safety regulations
  • Ensuring workplace safety through safety gear and equipment
  • Instructor support in potentially risky work environments
  • Accident prevention

All these aspects allow workplaces, employees, and managers to ensure injury prevention. That’s why the Department Of Labor and many state-based organizations require this course. Hence, construction companies provide this basic 30-hour training to their supervisors to ensure thorough compliance with safety regulations and standards.

5 Ways To Prepare for the 30-Hour Construction Safety and Health Course

Now that the basics are out of the way, let’s talk about 5 ways to prepare for this 30-hour construction safety and health course.

1. Get A Working Mobile, Laptop/Pc, Or Tablet

OSHA offers these courses in both physical and online classes. The online class is much more suitable for people who are working or those who cannot/wish not to travel to a physical training class. That’s why OSHA teaches the basic safety around common construction hazards through a very lenient online class.

However, you do need to be prepared for that, and that’s why you’re going to need the following:

• A working mobile phone to access OSHA’s portal and website;
  • A working PC or Laptop (Much more preferable)
  • A tablet or iPad to take the course

Besides that, a working and stable internet connection is a necessity, too, as these web-enabled courses contain safety training videos and basics of safety procedures through various courses. Therefore, it’s imperative that you get your devices ready before you enroll in this course—or your company does it for you.

1. Reserve An Hour Or Two Of The Day

OSHA has two courses, one is 10 hours, and the other is 30 hours. However, you can only take around 7 hours, of course, each day, so you will have to reserve specific times during the day to be able to take the 30-hour construction safety and health course.

That’s because the course content requires you to pay attention to each important aspect and grasp the ideas properly. Besides that, the lesson topics and training format requires you to focus on workplace safety as well as safety regulations and standards. So, reserve an hour or two of your day so you can:

• Tend to course objectives
  • Focus on the topics in the course duration
  • Tend to technical requirements
  • Study materials in peace and quiet

Besides that, it’s only a 30-hour class that doesn’t require a specific window of completion. So, you can do one hour every day for a month, and you’ll be done after that. But the more you reserve each day, the quicker it’ll be.

1. Prepare For Quizzes

Quizzes are one of the major parts of this course, and one of the best preparation tips you can receive is to get ready for quizzes. There are many things that go into the 30-hour construction safety course, including testimonials, case studies, and whatnot.

Therefore, the right type of study strategies should include preparing for quizzes. Meaning being able to answer questions quickly and right off the bat. Besides that, you can try other methods to prepare for these quizzes, such as:

• Time management to ensure that you’re focused on your studies, as mentioned previously.
  • Note-taking so that you can learn how to capture important attention and store it in your mind.
  • Practice exercises to answer quiz questions quickly so you can score higher.
  • Mock assessments to prepare you for such quizzes—which you can easily find online.

These preparation tactics will help you get ready for quizzes with an adequate score.

1. Prepare To Score At Least 70%

There are many ingredients in the 30-hour construction safety course. It allows you to understand the basics of workplace safety. However, if you don’t understand it properly, you won’t be able to score enough points.

OSHA does this by analyzing students who score 70% or above, and that’s why you need to go for it. So, make sure you study key ingredients in the course properly, including:

• Required equipment
  • Required personal protective equipment (PPE)
  • Construction site protocols
  • Hazardous materials

This will open up many networking opportunities and also open up the potential for better jobs. Seeing that you’re suitable for a leadership role, a company might even promote you to a supervisor or managerial role.

1. Prepare For Leadership

Lastly, you need to prepare for leadership, not just the certification. OSHA has a 10-hour course for employees, and the 30-hour one is ideal for managers and workplace leaders. Therefore, you need to learn more about workplace communication as well as teamwork and collaboration.

So, you shouldn’t just prepare for the course but also prepare to take charge when things go awry. Or ensure that everyone on the construction site/workplace is tending to safety compliance.

Conclusion

These are some of the best ways to prepare for the 30-hour construction safety and health course by OSHA. Learning the basics of safety in a construction environment will help you a lot, but it’s the other aspects, such as the one mentioned in this article, that’ll help you get over the line and score a good number.