7 Tip to Help Pack for College

7 Tip to Help Pack for College

As hard as it is to part with your t-shirts, I can assure you it’s even harder to fit everything in your dorm room

21
7 Tip to Help Pack for College
Alexis Block

Dorm rooms are known for being small. They become a place where entire lives worth of clothes are crammed into and places with more storage containers than the craft room in your grandmother’s house. To prevent your dorm from having piles of clothes with nowhere to go and too much shampoo to store in your bathroom at home let alone your dorm, decide what you will bring ahead of time so that you don’t get stuck on move in day.

1. Bring a maximum of seven big t-shirts

Everyone has a drawer that is overflowing with big t-shirts that they have received over the years at different events that they haven’t been able to throw away. These shirts are great for sleeping or working out, but the truth is, you don’t need to bring that many. I can guarantee you that you will get many more of these before your first year is even over and probably before your first week is over.

2. Don’t bring all of your winter clothes at move in

Depending on where you go to school, you might need both summer and winter clothes. If this is the case, don’t bring all of your winter clothes when you first move in. Instead, bring a few pieces to get you started and switch out a few summer items for more winter gear during parent’s weekend, or Thanksgiving or Winter Break.

3. Use vacuum bags

You might think this vacuum bags are so 2000 and late, but I brought more stuff with me in fewer bags. Plus, if you do want to bring more winter clothes you can keep them inside of one of these bags and under your bed until it’s time to wear it and then you can put your summer stuff in these bags.

4. Break up your heavy items between bags

If you’re like me and don’t want to ship all of your clothes to school and are instead taking it with you on the plane, you will deal with the possibility of oversize fees. Rather than having one bag for shoes, one bag for clothes and one bag for bedding and miscellaneous stuff, mix up the bags. A bag stuffed with clothing will be heavier than a bag full of pillows.

5. Buy toiletries and heavy items when you get there

Shampoo, toothpaste, and other basic necessities can often weigh down your luggage, so instead of lugging it from home, pick it up from Target when you get to school. Additionally, if you’re afraid that you won’t be able to get to Target to restock your supplies, sign up for Amazon Prime and you can order everything you need and have it delivered to your dorm two days after you order it.

6. Don’t bring what you don't use

As you’re packing you will probably come across random items of clothing, shoes, decor, makeup, etc that you forgot you had or never use. Going to college means you’ll have new opportunities to use this stuff, right? Wrong. Don’t bring what you don’t already use because more than likely you won’t use it next year when you have even less space to store it.

7. Buy storage once you move in

Before you move in, you will have no idea how your dorm is arranged and what kind of storage will best fit in your room. If you loft your bed and put your desk under that, you’ll have room for more storage whereas if you have your bed low, you may only have a little room under your bed.

Now go on and pack, but please don’t become a hoarder.