How To Make The All Star Break Great Again

Improving the MLB All Star Break.

11
tshirtwebstore.com

The Major League Baseball All-Star Game is among the best All-Star games out there, it's on the top tier along with the NHL all-star game. It also takes place during a time when there are no other sports on TV. The problem with the MLB All-Star game is that it's an exhibition game with a huge impact, the winning team wins home field advantage in the world series for their Division. During the All-Star Game, players usually play a couple of innings before being switched out for other players, that way everyone gets's a chance to play. However, with major implications on the line, teams obviously want to win. So they try to find a healthy balance between trying to win and getting everyone there a chance to play. I have a solution to this dilemma, my suggestion is for an All-Star break series of skills competition along with the All-Star Game itself.

Let me explain before you call me out for being gimmicky. First off the middle of July is sports hell, no other sports take place so all sports fans tune into the Homerun Derby and All-Star Game, why not add more for the viewers. The MLB already hosts a Homerun Derby during the All-Star break, a skills competition for power hitters, that doesn't count for much. Why not make it count? I suggest that the MLB has 4 skills competitions, The Home Run Derby, a relay race around the bases, An Around the Horn competition, and a Fast Pitch Competition. The winning side of each competition gets a point for their division, and the first Division to get 3 points wins home-field advantage in the World Series. Now there are 4 competitions so what if each division wins 2 events? Then the All-Star Game breaks the tie. By doing this the All-Star Game still has value to it, but it doesn't carry the weight that it does currently, besides it is still an exhibition game.

Let me explain the events in a little more detail. Everyone knows what the Home Run Derby is so that needs no explanation, but some other events may seem new. The relay race is simple. Each division sends 4 speedsters to represent them. The players each take turns running the bases, one person rounds the bases then the next person starts when they touch home, and so on. The team with the fastest time wins. The next event is the Around the Horn. The 8 All-star game competitors take the field, minus the pitcher. I'll explain the procedure and link a video to help visual learners.

The ball starts in the catcher's hand. He throws to third, third steps on the base and throws to second, second steps on the bag and throws to first, first steps on the base and throws home. The catcher steps on the plate and throws to the shortstop who is over second base. The shortstop throws to the right fielder who touches a marked spot on the ground and throws back to shortstop. The shortstop repeats the exchange he had with the right fielder with the center fielder.The center fielder throws the ball to the third baseman who touches his base and throws the ball to the left fielder. When the left fielder touches his spot he then throws home and the catcher touches home plate to stop the clock.

These competitions make for good competition, but also allows the All-Star game to be the exhibition game that it is meant to be, but also making the competition worth something.