How to Make: Ca Phe Sua Da

How to Make: Ca Phe Sua Da

An easy way to make Vietnamese iced coffee

72
Carson Bennett

Ca phe sua da is a traditional Vietnamese iced coffee beverage, and is the only type of coffee I drink with any cream, simply because that's how it's had.

Making ca phe sua da requires coffee ground between medium and coarse, sweetened condensed milk, ice, and most importantly, a phin. A phin is a stainless steel filter device in which the ground coffee hangs out with the hot water for a little while as it slowly drips into the cup. Coffee brewed with this has the potential to be quite strong, and can even rival the strength of espresso.

The first step is to heat up some water. You won't need more than half a cup really, depending on the size of your phin. Mine is quite small, so not much water is needed.

Find a cool looking glass, and pour some sweetened condensed milk into it. Note: I did not plan this article through very well, meaning I forgot to buy said milk, so I used my sister's coffee creamer.

Then, grind like 1.5-2 tablespoons somewhere between medium and French, depending on how strong you'd like it, and pour the grounds into the phin, placing the second filter on top, like so:

Once your water is on the kiss of boiling, kill the heat, and pour a couple drops of it into the phin, and let it soak in. After that, fill the vessel, and wait for all of it to drip down. Depending on the grind and amount of water used, this can either be pretty quick, or take upwards of four minutes even. Note that my removable filter thing has a case of the weeble wobbles, allowing ground coffee to rise from the sides. This doesn't really have much of an impact.

After all of the coffee has passed through, remove and wash out the phin. Then, after stirring and adding ice, you're good to go. Came out a little more milky then I would prefer, but I didn't really pay attention to the amount of cream I put in it, so my bad. Still drank it.