How To Look Flawless After A 15 Hour Flight

I woke up like this. Sort of.

113
Dawn Rainbolt

Anyone that's been on an international flight knows the struggle of air travel and the havoc it wreaks on your body. The combination of stale cabin air, salt-laden airplane food, sleep deprivation, and general stress of travel leaves even supermodels looking like zombies when they get off the plane. It might seem like traveling women are doomed to look dull and feel icky, but wait- there's hope yet! Check out these 6 tips to look and feel your best on your next long-haul flight:

1. Stay hydrated

One of the biggest challenges your body faces during air travel is dehydration, and this happens for several reasons. First, the air circulating in the plane's cabin is very dry and zaps the moisture out of your skin. Another is the consumption of dehydrating fluids: alcohol and caffeine are major culprits.

What to do: Bring an empty water bottle with you or buy one when you're through security. Additionally, don't forget to bring a moisturizer to combat the dry cabin air. My favorite for this occasion is THIRSTYMUD's Hydrating Treatment. It smells amazing and it works for all skin types.

2. Sleep on the plane

Sometimes this is easier said than done, but catching some zzz's on the flight will do wonders for your look. Sleep allows your body to produce collagen which helps keep your skin looking firm and bright. Adequate rest also brightens eyes and staves off puffy under eye bags (learn more about this here ). It's called beauty sleep for a reason!

What to do: Block out bothersome light and noise with a set of ear plugs and a sleep mask. If you really have trouble falling asleep, consider getting an over-the-counter sleep aid like ZzzQuil. Aim for a solid 7-9 hours if possible, but any sleep is better than no sleep.

3. Pamper yourself during the flight

Travel is stressful and stress makes it hard to look and feel your best. Cortisol, a hormone released when you're stressed, can lead to looking less healthy and attractive. The key to maintaining your beauty while traveling? Treat yo' self and keep the stress at bay!

What to do: Bake your favorite dessert and bring it with you on the flight. Invest in some fluffy socks to keep your feet super comfy. Get the planning out of the way weeks in advance so you can relax on the flight. Grab a good book or magazine to read on the flight.

4. Keep your hairstyle simple and clean

Your hair contributes a lot to your overall look, so it's important to take care of it while traveling if you want to look and feel your best. Long international flights usually mean going a while without showering, so minimizing oil on your scalp is key. Additionally, having your head squished up against your seat back for hours on end leaves hair flat and frizzy.

What to do: Try to leave showering as the last thing you do before you walk out the door and head for the airport. If you decide to style your hair, keep hairspray and other products to a minimum. Messy buns and ponytails are great options for traveling smart.

5. Avoid salt, caffeine, and booze

To deal with the stress and fatigue associated with travel, many people turn to salty foods, coffee or soda, and alcohol. These tasty stress-relievers might give you momentary satisfaction, but they can cause bloating and dehydration.

What to do: Look for healthy snack and drink options in the airport (or bring your own from home!). Opt out of wine on the flight, even if it is complimentary. Make sure you rest in the days leading up to the flight so you don't feel the need to reach for espresso en route.

6. Bring tools for touch-ups when you land

Even with loads of preparation, air travel can still leave you looking not so hot. There's only so much water you can drink, so much pampering you can afford, and so much stress you can eliminate. The best way to combat this is by bringing a touch-up kit to use when you land.

What to do: Create an arsenal of beauty products that will help you freshen up when you land. Dry shampoo is a must for reducing the look of flat, oily hair. Eye drops and lipstick will help you look more awake and well-rested. Try out Rohto Arctic eye drops- beauty experts swear by them. Add some mineral water to refresh your dry, tired skin. Lastly, remember to bring a change of clothes and some deodorant!

What's your beauty routine for international travel? Tell us in the comments below!