10 Tips To Living Alone

A College Student's Survival Guide To Living Alone

Growing up isn't easy, so use this guide to help find your way to living as an adult in college.

101

There is a time in everyone's life when they have to move out, and usually, that means having to learn how to take care of themselves now that they don't have mom and dad around anymore.

For some people, this comes easy, but for others, they may not have any idea where to start. In this article, you'll find tips and tricks from people that have been there before. This tips will range from healthcare to managing your responsibilities, which we could all use some help with no matter our age.

Keeping your living space clean.

At times this might seem like the bane of your existence, but keeping your living space clean can lead to a more positive attitude and making easier to want to get things done. To make this easy, you can make a cleaning chart to keep up with tasks that need to be done around the apartment.

Learn to do the basics.

This can mean a few things, like learning how to cook basic meals that are easy to put together and don't require that many ingredients. Also, you should learn how to wash your clothes on the regular, and correctly so you don't have any shrunken clothes.

Make a budget.

Seriously. This one is super important, but not the most exciting. Having your own place comes with many expenses you may have not thought about before, so having a monthly budget will help make sure you stay on track and don't end up overspending.

Realize you don't have to have the nicest things.

It's nice to splurge on yourself and get some luxury items on occasion, but you don't need to have the finest kitchen set or most expensive towels. Things that you can cut cost on, do it. If it doesn't affect the usefulness of the product, there is no use spending the extra dough on top of the line things.

Find the decorations that makes you happy.

Decorating can really liven up a place and make it feel more like home. Even if this means getting some nice curtains or a throw pillow, starting to decorate can help you settle into your new living space.

Get out of the house.

For some this one might not be so hard, but it is important to remember to get out and go interact with the outside world other than classes. Taking some outside leisure time is good for the mindset and can even make you a happier person.

You make your own rules, but that comes with responsibility.

Sure, watching TV all night or stay up playing video games seems like a good idea, but when you have class the next day it won't be fun in the morning. You have to learn be responsible for those kinds of things.

Be kind to yourself.

Take care of your mental health, it's ok to not be the best at everything as long as you try. Also, it's ok to treat yourself to some nice things every once in a while.

Keeping up with laundry/dishes.

On top of keeping up with other house hold chores, it is imperative that you don't get behind on your laundry and dishes before they pile up and you have to eat cereal out of a cup and wear a super dirty shirt to class.

Know how to take care of yourself if you get sick.

You don't have to have a full hospital in your medicine cabinet, but you should keep a stock of pain relievers and a basic first aid kit that includes things like band-aids and antibiotic ointments for any kinds of bumps or cuts you could get. In case of a cold, you should also have some medicine on standby.

I hope these tips and tricks are helpful to you and they make the adventure of living alone that much easier.