How to Help Your Parents Create a Safe Home as They Age

Aging can make getting around much harder. Make sure your parents are safe in their own home by following these tips.

148656

There is going to come a time when your parents need a little help to safely live in their home. This is just an inevitable part of life. The goal is to keep your parents as comfortable as possible while also knowing that they will be safe when alone. Luckily, it is fairly easy to make a few adjustments to the house that drastically improve its livability for seniors. These are the four things you must do to help your parents create a safe home as they age.

Eliminate Fall Hazards

Poor eyesight, reduced hearing, and imbalance put older individuals at risk of falling while moving around the house. Falling is actually the main cause for injured seniors. Since this is a dangerous problem, you need to remove all fall hazards from their house immediately. Throw rugs, long cords, and old unused furniture all pose a huge risk. Make the house as open as possible.

Add a Stair Lift

Walking up stairs puts a lot of stress on older bodies. They have to use all of their strength just to go up a flight of stairs. There is also a major injury risk if they fall while using the stairs. Avoid all of these dangers by adding a stair lift in the house. Stair lifts will safely go up and down the stairs whenever needed with absolutely no risk of injury.

Safety Proof Bathroom

The slippery surfaces in the bathroom make it one of the most dangerous rooms in the house for your older parents. There are several changes you need to make to ensure they stay safe. Put rubber mats inside and outside of the tub to prevent slipping. Add grab bars in the shower and next to the toilet. It is also a good idea to lower the temperature on the water heater to stop accidental burns in the shower.

Make Regular Visits

The best thing you can do to make sure your aging parents are safe in their home is by making regular visits to see them. In addition to spending valuable time with your family, you will also be able to access the house and your parent's well-being during these trips. Make sure some of your visits are unannounced to get a true sense of how they are living.

Your parents took care of you your entire life, so it is now time to repay the favor. Making these changes to the house will let your parents have independent lives in their own home for as long as possible.