How To Get Over The Guy That You Can't Get Out Of Your Head

There is also someone waiting and praying that you will fall into their arms and be theirs.

2582
HerCampus

There are relationships and almost relationships. When both of them end, it hurts. It hurts hard. Just know that this feeling is only temporary. Relationships and almost relationships are hard and complicated. Boys are beautiful and annoying creatures all at the same time. There are so many things to love about them and so many thing s to hate about them. One thing to hate about them is how they can break your heart. There are ways to be a strong women and let your heartbreak go and get him out of your head.

1. Give it time

Some people are so obsessed with the idea of being with someone. They will find a rebound right away. To get over heartbreak, it takes time, and that is ok. Time is always there and you can take however long you need to to get over someone. There isn't a rule that says "you only have 2 weeks to get over someone". Girl take your time!

2. Make a list of positives and negatives they brought into your life

Making a list of all the positives and negatives will show you why or why not someone should be in your life. This will show you just how much negative energy they have brought you into your life.

3. Understand why you 2 aren't going to work out

This can go hand in hand with writing a positive and negative list. Talking and thinking about why the 2 of you weren't working out will give you time to get over him. Needing to understand why you didn't work out is a great way to get over an ex-lover.

4. Get the closure YOU want (and need)

Getting closure is probably my top priority when getting over a boy. everyone has a different way of how they need closure. I need to understand why we didn't work, what I can learn from my good and my bad, and say that final goodbye. The final goodbye to the relationship, the final goodbye to the friendship, and the final goodbye to the good and bad memories you two shared.

5. Start to focus on your mental health

When a breakup occurs, your mind is going in one hundred different direction. You could be thinking, "Who is ever going to love me now?", "What did I do wrong?", "Why did he fall out of love with me?". Focusing on being positive and seeing that this will pass is a great thing for your mental health. Shifting negative energy into focusing on being happier and healthier is a great thing.

6. Take a break from their social media pages

It might look petty to remove pictures, social media follows, and tagged memories, but this is a great way to get over him. Unfollowing him on social media will also benefit your mental heath. Deleting the good memories will be a good thing. When scrolling through Instagram and seeing a picture of them having a good time or with A GIRL that isn't you, could be emotionally devastating for you to look at. By breaking them off of social media, there is no need to worry about what and how they are doing.

7. NO DRUNK COMMUNICATION

When we are drunk, for whatever reason, we often think about our ex and feel that it is a good idea to call, text, or Snapchat them. Don't do it! It isn't healthy for either of you. Mixed signals could get sent to and from either party. Feelings will be caught again when they were already casted away.

8. Realize that this experience will make you "wiser"

While it sucks that relationships and almost relationships end and you feel you wasted your time, YOU DIDN'T. This was a learning experience for future encounters with possible suitors.You learned what you did and didn't like about the relationship. You learned what you are really looking for in life and it shows you that you deserve the world and so much more.

9. Sometimes you can't stay friends, and that's ok!

Staying friends is very hard to do. Most of the time feelings are caught again and confused. You fall down the track of feelings again. Being friends shows that those memories will always be there and you don't think you will ever find anything again.

10. Don't bottle up your feelings

Sure, it can get annoying talking about the same things over and over again, but it is better to talk about it and figure out what you're really feeling than keeping it all inside. Keeping things bottled up will just make you go a little crazy. You will constantly keep thinking about that person and all the memories. Telling someone how you feel, why you feel this way, and what you are thinking about will make you feel soooooo much better.

11. Be social

Keeping to yourself can make your mind run in circles about what is going right and what is going wrong in your life currently. The human race was not made for being isolated creatures. We need communication in order to survive. Without socialization we can become very unhappy individuals. Being social will keep him out of your mind. It will show you that you don't need him. There are other ways to find your happiness in the world.

12. Get rid of their physical belongings

Don't keep things that they gave you because it will be a sad and constant reminder of all the great times you had. It’s always important to get rid of your ex’s stuff because if you’ve got it hanging around, you’re still psychologically clinging onto the past. By getting rid of it, you create space for now, either for the relationship you’re currently in, or to get into another relationship without hanging onto what used to be. This is a great way to get him out of your head and heart. If he did you dirty in the end of the relationship, you can have a little fun with his stuff. Throw it out, donate to charity, BURN IT!

13. Turn your energy into something positive

Turning anger and sadness into something else is a good idea. For example, you can scrapbook, exercise, make new friends. There are other things that you can put your heart and happiness into. You just need to find what your new passion will be.

14. There is a light at the end of the tunnel

This heartbreak isn't forever. In the end, breakups are said but the word boyfriend has the word "end" in it. Not all relationships were meant to last forever. Love will come and the heart will grow stronger.

By giving yourself time to heal and let your broken heart reattach the pieces, love will come. There is going to be some guy just waiting to call himself yours. And when that happens you will be the happiest person. This feeling of self-pity and doubt is only going to last for a little while. There is someone out there feeling the same exact way that you are feeling. There is also someone waiting and praying that you will fall into their arms and be theirs. Time is of the essence, and your time for love will come.