How To Get Out Of Doing Anything And Everything

A lazy girl's guide to getting things done with minimal effort!

77

Okay, nobody really likes to do much of anything that requires paying attention for more than three minutes. Whether it be downloading an app, updating your computer, applying for a job, or learning how to work the washing machine, there is always a way to get out of doing it, at least for the first few times (and more, if you really know how to work the system).

When I was applying for college I single-handedly revolutionized the way that modern day high school students apply. Rather than taking time out of my day, I took time out of someone else’s day, AKA my sister. By asking her how to apply for college, she conveniently just did it for me, assuming that I was incapable of following basic instructions (no shame). However, when my second, third, and fourth applications were due to be sent in, I knew I needed to formulate another plan in order to get her assistance. So, I did what any smart thinking person would do -- I messed up. I made sure to fill out some forms incorrectly, screw my birthday up, and forget my address, that way it was easier for her to just do the work for me, rather than her having to explain that I was born in 1998, not 1899.

However, there are other things in life that also will require assistance, and I’ve mastered the way to get it. First, you must realize what you don’t want to spend your time doing because that is exactly what you will need done for you. The next step is to glance at the problem, that way you can formulate 2-4 questions about such "problem", which really helps to make it seem like you want to try, but that you just need a little help. Third, for the love of God, make sure that you are able to say “Mhmm” and “Oh, okay," that way it sounds like you are really paying attention.

Once you’ve covered the first three steps, it’s time to take action. Find someone who has done it before, whether it be your sister, mother, or mailman; just get someone with experience. Enlist said person to help you solve your predicament by first stating the issue at hand. Then, recite your questions, and finally utter these five words: “How do you do it?” Bam. You just got yourself quick, easy help.

Try not to do this all the time, especially to the same person, because eventually, they will catch on. Plus, you are going to need to learn how to use a washing machine or the microwave. Still, this tool comes in handy when you just don’t feel like actually doing something independently or you really just don’t know how!

Disclaimer: Never let your go-to read this article or else you’re out of luck!