How To Find The Perfect Summer Internship

Set yourself up for success.

13

Some college programs require internships or co-ops. Others suggest them but don't require it. Instead of spending your summer as a cashier, waitress or babysitter, utilize your summer to complete an internship that applies to your field of study. The benefits from completing an internship are never ending. You apply the information you learned in the classroom, you may get college credit, you learn new information or techniques, and the most important one is that you expand your network. Follow these tips to help find the perfect internship for this summer.

Ensure your materials are spot on.

Make sure you update your resume, cover letter and portfolio (if you need one). These are the most important three documents that will give you a better chance at landing an interview. Have a few friends, family members or professors look at these documents. They will give an outsider's perspective and offer great insight on aspects you may want to change.

Determine where you want to work geographically.

If you are like me, I wanted to get out of my hometown and even my own state. Once you figure out a location that you would like to work in, start researching companies that apply to your major.

Start applying!

There are so many ways to find internships. Some top resources that I have used in the past include LinkedIn Jobs, Indeed and Glassdoor. Of course, you can find internships or co-ops in other places. You may find some luck from the company's career page. You may have to email a company if they don't have any job postings.

Keep track of your applications.

Staying organized will make your life so much easier. Create an Excel document with columns that include date you applied, company name, where you found the job, if you've heard back, when your interview is, contact info, did you send a thank you letter, did you get an offer. Fill this out after each application you fill out. For my first internship, I filled out 80+ applications. I would've never been able to keep all of these opportunities straight without this document.

Don't be afraid of rejection.

You may not be 100% qualified for a certain job posting, but you should still apply. Employers don't expect you to be perfect at everything that was in the requirements for the job. You will learn on the job; however, you won't ever get that opportunity if you fail to apply. Give yourself the best chance at securing your dream internship.