how to find contentment
Self Love

Important Ways That You Can Become More Content With Yourself

Even if you look the same, you will feel empty because you are not being you.

583
Avery Owens

It's the game you can't win. You try every day to prove yourself. You constantly scroll through social media wishing you had that body, that outfit, that payroll... that life. You walk through your day constantly trying to measure up to those around you. You try and try and try. The game becomes exhausting because you can't keep up. You will never be just like the person next to you. Even if you look the same, you will feel empty because you are not being you.

Comparison leaves you feeling hollow and empty. It is life-taking and it robs you of your joy. It's something we all know too well, and it seems impossible to stop. There is light at the end of the tunnel despite what you may think and I'm here to share some tips I've learned over the years to fight this battle.

1. Take a break from social media

Social media feeds comparison. From the moment we wake up, we absorb hundreds of pictures of what people choose to post of their lives. They chose to post the stuff that makes their life look better than yours. It is something we all do. Taking a break from social media stops the constant comparison as you scroll through your feed. It eliminates one source of comparison and you realize how free you can be without it.

2. Don't look in the mirror

This one seems a little cheesy but its impact is huge. Choose how long you want to challenge yourself to not look in the mirror. It can be a day or it can be a week. Appreciate the beauty that is natural and within you. If you're unhappy with the way you look then stop looking at yourself, take a step back, and you will soon start to value yourself more.

3. Teach yourself to love the qualities that make you YOU

Genesis 1:27 says, "So God created mankind in His own image, in the image of God He created them." God created each and every one of us to be different. He gave you gifts and qualities that He did not give anyone else. Discover those gifts and love them. They are what makes you stand out.

4. Wear what you want to wear

Seems self-explanatory, but wear what you want to wear. Do not wear what you think other people will like. Do not dress for others, dress for you.

5. Share your struggles with someone

God gave us a community for a reason. When we share our struggles with one another a burden is uplifted off our shoulders. When you share you may realize that others around you are going through the same struggle, and nothing is more comforting than knowing you are not alone. Immerse yourself in community and watch yourself grow.

6. Appreciate other people's gifts as you learn to appreciate your own

This one is big... once you stop envying what other people have and you appreciate their gifts as blessings, you will find yourself appreciating your own. Everything good in our lives is a result of God who gives to bless. Realizing that truth is a game changer.

7. Dive into the greatest love letter ever

Read the Bible... I dare you. Once you read it, your mindset will begin to change. Don't underestimate the power that is within its words. I will finish with that.